Can a workflow be triggered to run at a certain repeating date and time? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

The only development tool I have is SharePoint Designer, and I'm trying to create a workflow that sends out an email every monday at Six if certain files in a document library haven't been updated.

Is this possible? Thanks!

T

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, March 3, 2011 8:08 AM workflow questions go to the workflow forum (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 6:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello!

The only development tool I have is SharePoint Designer, and I'm trying to create a workflow that sends out an email every monday at Six if certain files in a document library haven't been updated.

Is this possible? Thanks!

T

You could certainly do this via a Visual Studio workflow, I've never see a way to do this through SPD. You might be able to get creative with the "set time/date", "Pause Until" then check the modified date and then reset the time after the item is check to see if the modfied field was updated. SPD workflows are so linear, I don't know how you would loop the workflow everyday automatically. There are some 3rd party addons for designer that makes looping easy, so maybe search for some of those?
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Out of the box, doing this in SPD would be a huge hack, if its even possible.  I would strongly advise against that kind of hack if this is even slightly mission critical.

As ChrisC_26 said, there might be some 3rd party addons that would make this possible, but they would require adding compknents to the server.

All of the above aside, this shouldn't be a workflow.  It should be a timer job, which unfortunately requires Visual Studio.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 12:28 AM
  • Hi Thomas,

Ii is possible to get it done through designer.

You can use the Pause Until activity to implement this.

Check on the below link to understand how to use this.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/create-a-secondary-workflow-HA010237656.aspx

Thanks,
    Chanakya
    • Marked as answer by THTolleson Friday, March 4, 2011 7:50 PM
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 6:10 AM
  • VERY helpful, Chanakya! Thank you so much!

Tom

Friday, March 4, 2011 9:30 PM