none
How to get network signal strength : similar to Skype - please refer attached photo RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I want to show network strength in my application - similar to Skype.

How to do it in C#?

Thanks in advance,

Ashish Agrawal 

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 4:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I guess Skype uses its own algorithm to determine the quality of your network by pinging its servers or something.

If you just want the signal quality of your active WIFI connection, take a look at the following question on StackOverflow: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1686715/c-sharp-how-do-i-access-the-wlan-signal-strength-and-others

Kind regards,

Johnny Hooyberghs

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 4:58 PM
  • what about Ethernet or with wired network?
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 5:32 PM
  • Hi agrawal.ashish,

Thank you for posting here.

I think Jhhnny's solution is right.

>>what about Ethernet or with wired network?

I am not sure why you want to get wired network signal strength. As usual, wired network is faster than wifi.

Therefore, I think there is no need to get wired network signal strength.

You could look at the following link, which describes the advantages of wired network.

What Are The Advantages of Wired Networking?

Note:This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:01 AM
  • Skype is not telling you anything about "signal strength" or "network strength".  Skype starts to transmit audio and video at the highest possible resolution and quality.  It then measures the frame rates that get through to the other end.  If the frame rate is too slow, it reduces the "network quality", and at the same time reduces the resolution and picture quality until the frame rate is acceptable.  So, the quality there is just "Skype quality".  It's not anything inherent to your network connection.

If you're not streaming continuous video, then there is nothing for you to measure.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 5:17 PM