IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL RRS feed

• Question

• To anyone who might care: two weeks ago I started receiving blue screen error messages that said IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL . The computer either froze or rebooted back to the log-in screen. This would happen sporadically, as short as five minutes apart, as long as a couple of hours. The blue screen came about without warning.

The computer is a Dell, ten months old, using a Vista operating system. I had done nothing to this computer before the problems started: no new hardware, software, devices, drivers, NOTHING!

It turns out the culprit was the USB adapter that I was connecting (wirelessly) to the internet with! Keep in mind that I had used this same USB adapter for ten months with no problems! The USB adapter is incompatible with Vista. Perhaps there was some update to Vista that rendered the adapter "more incompatible." In any event, after two weeks of diagnostics, 12 total hours on the phone with Dell tech support, a new hard drive, sleepness nights, I finally figured out the solution on my own.

So if you're getting a blue screen message with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and you're connected to the internet with a USB adapter, that might be the problem.

If I can save anyone the agony that I went through, this post will have been worth it!

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 4:55 PM

Answers