none
No connection string named '...Entities' could be found in the application config file -- It IS TOO there! RRS feed

• Question

• I have a wpf project with an Ado.Net Entity Model (VS2012).  Everything runs fine, and the connection string exists in app.config, myProject.exe.config, ... but I have this error message in the designer that says

>>No connection string named  '...Entities'  could be found in the application config file

I recently updated sql data tools for VS2012, and also update (Nuget) Entity Framework.  Now I get this error message, even though everything runs fine and al the connection strings exist where they should.  How can I eliminate this error message?  Did the updates maybe load stuff for VS2013 that aren't in VS2012?

Rich P

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 9:11 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply.  I tried creating another project (WPF) with the same database and tables for the entity model, but I did not get the error message.  Maybe it was just the project, but the project with the error message runs OK.  I was just checking if there was an easy quick fix -- besides creating a new project.  Looks like this is one of those obscure (hard to reproduce) errors.  I will just live with it (meaning create a new project).

Rich P

Thursday, February 5, 2015 10:36 AM

All replies

• Hello Rich,

>> I recently updated sql data tools for VS2012, and also update (Nuget) Entity Framework

For this, I do not quite understand, if you mean you upgrade the Visual Studio(for example to VS2013) an upgrade the Entity Framework version. if so, could you please provide information about the original environment and the caused exception environment, so that we can create a test demo to reproduce this issue an find the causes reason. Currently, we just made a simple test: Creating a project in VS2012 with EF5 and upgrade to EF6.x, however, the connection string could be read just as in VS2012. Or you might check this link which aslo discuss this similar issue:

No connection string named 'MyApplicationEntities' could be found in the application config file

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 6:30 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I tried creating another project (WPF) with the same database and tables for the entity model, but I did not get the error message.  Maybe it was just the project, but the project with the error message runs OK.  I was just checking if there was an easy quick fix -- besides creating a new project.  Looks like this is one of those obscure (hard to reproduce) errors.  I will just live with it (meaning create a new project).

Rich P

Thursday, February 5, 2015 10:36 AM
  • Hello,

Anyway, it is glad to hear that you have a workaround for this issue.

Cheers.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, February 16, 2015 9:50 AM