none
Split SQL Server 2012 Failover Cluster

Question

• First, I am not sure if this is the correct forum.

I have a two node Failover Cluster with two instances of SQL Server 2012.

I need to separate/split/eject/? the two nodes and instances so they are stand alone servers and instances. Even if they end up being two single node clusters.

I would like to avoid rebuilding the sql servers if possible.

One of the sql servers is used to support SharePoint and a third party product that runs on it. The third party product lags behind on sql support and ends up being a road block to sql server upgrades.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Friday, January 27, 2017 4:58 PM

Answers

• If this was an Availability Group you could split it up pretty easily, since those are actually individual instances with just certain clustered resources (IP, listener). Since it sounds like you are talking about a failover cluster you cannot evict a node without it becoming unusable. Failover cluster nodes are part of a shared environment. Namely the system and user databases are shared resources. Once you evict a node from the cluster they will no longer have access to those resources. If you evict the last node from a cluster I believe you in effect destroying the cluster.

In your scenario I believe you will have to stand-up new instances to move your stuff off to if you want to move away from the clustered instances you are on now.

Joie Andrew "Since 1982"

Friday, January 27, 2017 9:05 PM

All replies

• You cannot split nodes of cluster without evicting the cluster node and if you do so this will jeopardize your cluster. As far as I can see you can keep instances on each node and let them function if not you would have to destroy cluster and create new standalone instance

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

• Proposed as answer by Ekrem Önsoy Friday, January 27, 2017 6:21 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by William Soranno Friday, January 27, 2017 6:30 PM
    Friday, January 27, 2017 5:06 PM
  • You cannot split nodes of cluster without evicting the cluster node and if you do so this will jeopardize your cluster. As far as I can see you can keep instances on each node and let them function if not you would have to destroy cluster and create new standalone instance

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

You mention above that ejecting the node will jeopardize the cluster. In what way?

I do not plan on keeping the cluster.

I should have mentioned that the sql server that is not hosting sharepoint (sql2) is going to be virtualized and the hardware that it is on will be re-purposed. But that is down the road a ways. In the mean time I need to separate the 2 sql servers. I want to upgrade sql2 to SQL Server 2016 in late fall. I cannot do that while it is in the cluster with the sql server (sql1) that is hosting sharepoint and the third party app.

Friday, January 27, 2017 6:30 PM
  • Yes, unfortunately if you require the instances to be totally separate, you'll require a new SQL install i.e. remove one node, install SQL Server on evicted node cluster, migrate sql2 databases/logins etc.

This is not necessarily a bad thing as it could allow you to have a clean OS/SQL install on the removed node, and allow a side-by-side migration with testing i.e. identify possible SQL 2016 issues, it could also allow for a reduced outage window when the cut over to SQL 2016 finally occurs.

Friday, January 27, 2017 7:22 PM
  • If this was an Availability Group you could split it up pretty easily, since those are actually individual instances with just certain clustered resources (IP, listener). Since it sounds like you are talking about a failover cluster you cannot evict a node without it becoming unusable. Failover cluster nodes are part of a shared environment. Namely the system and user databases are shared resources. Once you evict a node from the cluster they will no longer have access to those resources. If you evict the last node from a cluster I believe you in effect destroying the cluster.

In your scenario I believe you will have to stand-up new instances to move your stuff off to if you want to move away from the clustered instances you are on now.

Joie Andrew "Since 1982"

Friday, January 27, 2017 9:05 PM