I can not open Blend from inside VS 2013. When I open Blend directly and linking to the project, design screen does not show in blend RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to open Blend inside VS 2013 in two ways. Neither worked.

I tired to find it listed under VIEW.  It was not there.   I did an opposite mouse click on the solution explorer and it did not show there.

I can load Blend directly (not thru VS), but when I pull up an existing project, the design screen will not show up.  Code screens do show.

I would love to know the correct way to get this to open a project.

When I went directly into Blend, I made sure the files were not open in VS.   I thought a lock might have been an issue.

So if I need to change some setting or something else, I would appreciate knowing what to do.

Thank you

Friday, April 18, 2014 8:44 PM

All replies

• What kind of project are you trying to open in Blend? Launching Blend from the start menu/screen should work just fine, but maybe the project you are trying to open isn't supported?
    Monday, April 21, 2014 1:53 PM
  • I am just starting to try out the new features of VS 2013.  So I took an existing website that I am writing code for and tried to bring it up in Blend.

I could not find any link in VS to Blend, even tho the Microsoft site indicates they should be there.   I went and called Blend direct from the start screen and it launches fine.  I could even write pages there that worked....(I did not like how it render pages when I shrunk the size of the IE screen, but that is a different topic).

I could also open up parts of the VS existing project if done from inside Blend.   But the screens did not render in Blend, so pointless to work with. As the screens I was working with are in HTML the background default language should not mater.   One may be defaulting to VB and the other to C#.  But HTML is the same for both and there is no code behind YET in my test pages.

From what I read the code behind should really only be done in VS as the debugging tools are better.

Your comment about the project not being supported is interesting.   VS 2013 supports frameworks covering a number of versions.  Does Blend not do the same?

Thank you for your assistance.

Monday, April 21, 2014 6:22 PM
  • Blend works with a few platforms, but not normal web pages.

Blend supports:

WPF, Silverlight, Windows Phone, Windows Store (xaml and html/css/js)

Monday, April 21, 2014 7:08 PM