none
EDIFACT UNB4.1 problem with Biztalk 2006R2 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trying to process the EDIFACT remittance advice(REMADV) D97A file through Biztalk 2006 R2. The file begins with the following envelope

UNA:+.? '
    UNB+UNOA:4+160943056:01+246649263:01+20071023:0157+589'
    UNH+5890001+REMADVBig Smile:97A:UN'

When I try processing it I get the following error

Error: 1 (Field level error)

SegmentID: UNB

Position in TS: 1

Data Element ID: UNB4.1

Position in Segment: 5

Position in Field: 1

Data Value: 20071023

39: Data element too long

It looks like Biztalk 2006R2 does not like date in the  format ccyymmdd. if I change the date to 071023 it gets processed just fine. Is there anyway for me to change a setting somewhere so Biztalk can accept dates in the format ccyymmdd for UNB4.1?

Thursday, November 1, 2007 1:54 PM

Answers

• Amit,

It is not a standard that Microsoft invented. EDIFACT is the international EDI Standard developed under the united nations. Microsoft R2 is just implementing the standard as defined by the UN. 

With that said, I just double checked and we have previously identified this issue and made the max length of UNB4.1 to be 8 to support ccyymmdd date format in the RTM version.

So I apologize for the previous comment.

Which version of R2 are you using?

Thanks

Mohsin Kalam

www.mohsink.com - Blog about Microsoft BizTalk R2 EDI

Thursday, November 1, 2007 8:40 PM

All replies

• This is by design per the EDIFACT standards. UNB4.1 is of type n6 which means numeric of min and max length of 6. Currently there is no work around in R2.

Thanks

Mohsin Kalam

Thursday, November 1, 2007 7:12 PM
  • I am not sure how Microsoft came up with this standard because in the automotive world there are customers(for e.g. Saturn uses 8 digit date) that use the date in the format ccyymmdd. I think Microsoft Biztalk team should consider opening this field up to allow either 6 digit or 8 digit date.
    Thursday, November 1, 2007 7:21 PM
  • Amit,

It is not a standard that Microsoft invented. EDIFACT is the international EDI Standard developed under the united nations. Microsoft R2 is just implementing the standard as defined by the UN. 

With that said, I just double checked and we have previously identified this issue and made the max length of UNB4.1 to be 8 to support ccyymmdd date format in the RTM version.

So I apologize for the previous comment.

Which version of R2 are you using?

Thanks

Mohsin Kalam

Thursday, November 1, 2007 8:40 PM
  • Mohsin- I am still working on the development enviroment of Biztalk 2006 R2 that uses the Beta version. Is the RTM version available for download. I checked the msdn subscriber download and I only see a developer edition for R2 called en_biztalk_server_2006_r2_developer_dvd_X14-00846.iso ISO-9660 . Do you know if this problem has been fixed in thee developer dvd version on msdn? Also when can we expect the final production version to be available for download?

Thanks for quickly responding to my questions in this forum.

Thursday, November 1, 2007 9:06 PM
  • Hi Amit,

Now on MSDN is the final production version of the BizTAlk 2006 R2.
    Friday, November 2, 2007 7:08 PM
  • Hi - I have a sender who wants to receive the 8 digit date in UNB4.  is there any way to select this? I don't see it on the menu dialog.

Anthony 
    Monday, October 5, 2009 4:20 PM