none
How to move the Outlooks forms data to SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Custom Outlook forms application which we are planning to rebuild using .Net. Now we want to move the forms data to the SQL Server database. What are the possible ways of doing this. Is it possible by SSIS or Can we move the data to flat files and upload to SQL Server. Please suggest any way is fine. We are looking for a starting point.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:35 AM

Answers

• Do you not know how/where your data is being saved? Going on the basis that this is related to Outlook contact items - what was the message class of the items created (1) IPM.Contact or (2) IPM.Contact.SomeName (where SomeName = any value)? The difference being in the consistency of the user properties collection associated with each individual contact item.

Capturing data via application forms is not the same thing as using an Outlook custom form but whether you have used a custom application or a custom Outlook form makes absolutely no difference if at the end of it, a contact item is created in an Outlook contact folder.

In short, you need to export the contact data from the contact user properties as Damian already stated. <how> you can go about that was included in my previous answer including a link to a free tool that creates a CSV file which can then be imported into your SQL server database which has nothing to do with Outlook.

Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group
    Outlook Import/Export Hints/Tips
    Contact import/export/data management tools for Outlook '2000/2010 - ContactGenie.com

Friday, February 15, 2013 6:00 AM

All replies

• if this outlook forms data is stored in user properties then i guess you will have to build custom code for that. But maybe others know of pre-existing functionality for this.
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:05 AM
  • What exactly do you mean by a "Custom Outlook forms application"?

For this response, going to presume you are referring to contact items being created using a custom form. There is no option within Outlook itself to export custom fields (with or without a custom form). The data is stored/retrieved at the contact item level so your choices are essentially

#1 - Use a free export tool to include the user-defined (custom fields) from CodeTwo that will export to a CSV file 

CodeTwo Export
    http://www.codetwo.com/freeware/outlook-export/

#2 - Write your own code to extract the information and write it to a file type of your choosing including SQL server

#3 - if this is for more than a one time use, one of the ContactGenie programs (not free) with export functionality (QuickPort, DataPort, MultiPort, Exporter) may be of interest (native SQL server support available in DataPort/MultiPort)

ContactGenie Export Overview
    http://www.contactgenie.com/export_overview.htm

Contact import/export/data management tools for Outlook '2000/2010 - ContactGenie.com

Friday, February 15, 2013 2:32 AM
  • Thanks Karl

When I say Custom Outlook Forms , I mean outlook form to capture application data.. Ex: Suppose I have application which captures Customer Information/Sales information  ( 4 to 5 screens)  and some reports to display the data.

How can I migrate this Customer information captured overtime in Outlook forms to SQL Server database from Outlook forms application

This is for single time use only.

Friday, February 15, 2013 4:47 AM
  • Do you not know how/where your data is being saved? Going on the basis that this is related to Outlook contact items - what was the message class of the items created (1) IPM.Contact or (2) IPM.Contact.SomeName (where SomeName = any value)? The difference being in the consistency of the user properties collection associated with each individual contact item.

Capturing data via application forms is not the same thing as using an Outlook custom form but whether you have used a custom application or a custom Outlook form makes absolutely no difference if at the end of it, a contact item is created in an Outlook contact folder.

In short, you need to export the contact data from the contact user properties as Damian already stated. <how> you can go about that was included in my previous answer including a link to a free tool that creates a CSV file which can then be imported into your SQL server database which has nothing to do with Outlook.

Friday, February 15, 2013 6:00 AM