none
Finding documentation on exceptions thrown by specific functions RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Colleagues,

If someone could tell me where to find documentation of the exceptions that can be thrown by given methods of classes in the ASP.NET library, I would appreciate it. I am especially concerned at this point to know what exceptions that can be thrown by methods of the DataContext class.

Thank you for your trouble, and best regards.

orexin
    Friday, March 27, 2009 2:40 PM

Answers

• Hi orexin,

The MSDN library should have a comprehensive description of what exceptions are thrown by the different methods in the framework. You can always consult the general namespace pages for a rough idea of what exceptions are thrown in a particular library.

You can also use Red Gate's .NET Reflector tool to figure out where particular exceptions are thrown. You can do this by finding the Exception class you're interested in, going to the Analyzer pane (Tools > Analyze), and expanding the "Instantiated By" tree node.

It might be a little tedious to gather all the information though. If you find that some documentation on MSDN is lacking in the area that you need, please let me know.

David

- Also, the DataContext class is not part of ASP.NET. It is in the LINQ to SQL library (System.Data.Linq.dll).
    • Marked as answer by orexin Monday, March 30, 2009 3:39 AM
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 4:40 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi orexin,

The MSDN library should have a comprehensive description of what exceptions are thrown by the different methods in the framework. You can always consult the general namespace pages for a rough idea of what exceptions are thrown in a particular library.

You can also use Red Gate's .NET Reflector tool to figure out where particular exceptions are thrown. You can do this by finding the Exception class you're interested in, going to the Analyzer pane (Tools > Analyze), and expanding the "Instantiated By" tree node.

It might be a little tedious to gather all the information though. If you find that some documentation on MSDN is lacking in the area that you need, please let me know.

David

- Also, the DataContext class is not part of ASP.NET. It is in the LINQ to SQL library (System.Data.Linq.dll).
    • Marked as answer by orexin Monday, March 30, 2009 3:39 AM
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 4:40 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi David,

Thank you for your response and the reference, which is very helpful for my current purpose, which is dealing with concurrency conflicts.

Thank you for all your responses to my questions.

With best regards,

Eric
    Monday, March 30, 2009 3:39 AM