none
Need to call web service over HTTPS, and they gave me a .cer file... RRS feed

• Question

• I need to call into a web service over HTTPS, and they gave me a .cer file which they say I will need to authenticate.  I imported the file into the Trusted CA store in my machine no problems, but I noticed the file has "Enable all Purposes for this Certificate" selected, however I only see "Server Authentication" as an checkbox option (it is selected).  My question is.... shouldn't the cert have a "Client Authentication" option since I am the client?  I am wondering if they gave me the wrong cert, but wanted to double check before I go back to them.

P.S. I have not tested this yet as their service is not up yet.  They gave me the .cer file in advance.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 6:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems that the certificate is server certificate or CA root certificate. You can also check the value of "Enhanced key usage" property of the certificate:

If there is no the property, it is CA root certificate.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 1, 2015 9:01 AM
  • Yes, it is server certificate. You need to ask them for a client certificate.

Friday, October 9, 2015 2:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that the certificate is server certificate or CA root certificate. You can also check the value of "Enhanced key usage" property of the certificate:

If there is no the property, it is CA root certificate.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 1, 2015 9:01 AM
  • Hi.  Here is the properties of the certificate :

So with this being the case, will this .cer file allow me to authenticate with the remote web service if put into my Trusted CA store in the computer account of the machine that will do the calling?  Or do I need to go back and ask them for a client certificate? 

Thursday, October 1, 2015 12:42 PM
  • Yes, it is server certificate. You need to ask them for a client certificate.

Friday, October 9, 2015 2:24 AM