Remote Debugging fails after changing passwords RRS feed

• Question

• I've had remote debugging running for months between my Windows Vista laptop and my Windows Server 2003 virtual machine (running on the laptop).

My laptop is not on a domain, so I've set it up by having the same administrator login on both machines with the same password.  When I remote debug using Windows Authentication, everything seems to work great.

I've just had to change my password, so I changed it both on my laptop and in Windows Server 2003.  The Remote Debugger service is also running with the new password.

But for some reason, remote debugging no longer works.  I start visual studio (as an administrator) and the web site project connects to Windows Server 2003 using the new password with no problems.  But when I try to start remote debugging, I get an error telling me I'm connecting with an unknown username or bad password.

If I change the passwords on both machines back to what they were, everything works fine again.  I've tried restarting bother machines but it doesn't make any difference.

Have I missed something? The only similar case I've been able to find is this:

http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread641075.html

But I don't want to delete my profile unless I really have to - I'd rather at least understand the problem first.

Thanks,

James.

Monday, October 22, 2007 2:15 PM

Answers

• One thing to check is that you don't have a bad stored credential lying around on either box.

For Vista:

1. Start, Control->Panel

2. User accounts

3. User accounts again

4. Click the 'manage your network passwords' under tasks on the lef side

If this doesn't help, please let me know the exsact error message.

Thanks,

Gregg Miskelly

Monday, October 22, 2007 9:13 PM

All replies

• One thing to check is that you don't have a bad stored credential lying around on either box.

For Vista:

1. Start, Control->Panel

2. User accounts

3. User accounts again

4. Click the 'manage your network passwords' under tasks on the lef side

If this doesn't help, please let me know the exsact error message.

Thanks,

Gregg Miskelly

Monday, October 22, 2007 9:13 PM
  • Hi Gregg,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this, I was just waiting for a pause in my work.  Your solution was spot on, and everything is working fine now with the new password.

Thanks for your help,

James.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 10:09 AM
  • Thanks , ı stumblled across this problem and your solution works. But have to ask why the hell Windows does not refresh that password after successful connection via Visual Studio???
    Tuesday, April 28, 2015 6:00 AM