Permissions issue on linux vm, read only RRS feed

• Question

• I deployed a site on an azure linux (debian) vm from an image. Using their image capture process, the original vm is deleted. There was a raid 0 disk on the the previous deployment which I did not change the fstab file before creating the image. Now fstab is in read only mode probably because the UUID for the raid is no longer correct.

As it is in read only I cannot make the proper edits to link the new UUID of the RAID disk drive/blob.

I've tried mount / -o remount,rw and similar commands but it says "only root can do that". I am the only user on the system and sudo -l confirms that I should be able to run all commands.

Also tried changing write permissions but the response again is that only root can do that.

Any other ideas on how to correct the fstab file. The only thing i can think of is to attempt to download, fix, then replace fstab but i might not have permission for that either.

So that was the initial problem.  To see if it was just that file or directory, i tried changing other config files and i get the same response.  It seems to be a permission issue on the os disk.  Any suggestions on fixing the fstab or permissions is appreciated.

Thanks

Thursday, February 18, 2016 11:35 PM

Answers

• did you try to become root more fully with: sudo su -

then at the new shell run mount ....?

if that doesn't work attach the vhd to a test/temporary linux vm and fix that way.

Ed

• Marked as answer by soliton23 Friday, February 19, 2016 1:46 AM
    Friday, February 19, 2016 12:44 AM

All replies

• did you try to become root more fully with: sudo su -

then at the new shell run mount ....?

if that doesn't work attach the vhd to a test/temporary linux vm and fix that way.

Ed

• Marked as answer by soliton23 Friday, February 19, 2016 1:46 AM
    Friday, February 19, 2016 12:44 AM
  • Thanks Ed. 

sudo su -    did not work at first.  Rebooted (for the 3rd time today) then did sudo su - and it worked.

Friday, February 19, 2016 1:48 AM