Restart functionality code in c# -Don't want to use process start RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am implementing Visual studio 2012 Set up project. Which will install some Extensions. I should run below command from visual studio command prompt, after I  ran our  custom installer to view changes .This will reset visual studio.

devenv /setup

Now i am looking for any alternative solution to restart Visual studio  once i Install/Uninstall in background i want to rest vs 2012.I don't want to use

Process. Start

Default option available in extension manager

I want to reset Vs 2012 along with installation or Un-Installation of our Custom installer, so that i can view changes.

Thanks,

Showkath.

Best Regards Showkath

Monday, April 29, 2013 3:02 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure I completely understand the question here. But if you are installing your VS extension with a setup program (and not via VSIX deployment), running devenv.exe with /setup is a requirement.

As to how your setup/install program does this is entirely up to you. However, it's probably somewhat dependent on the setup technology you are using. For example, is your installer written using InstallShield, WISE, Wix, etc? Those technologies each have the ability to spawn off an application with a custom command line.

For example (Wix) has a set of custom actions that includes a VS2012Setup action that will run devenv.exe with that /setup command.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

• Proposed as answer by Dylan Barrie Saturday, May 4, 2013 12:26 PM
    Wednesday, May 1, 2013 4:28 PM
  • Thanks ED Dore

Your information helps me.

My understanding from your reply is  once we install setup/installer  , we must need to run devenv.exe, which will clear cache, reset..

Is there any alternative for this i mean instead of us running manually this command , i want to make a part of Visual studio installer.

One more question : Is this good practice  to run this command from the installer code.Any other alternatives please let me know

To answer your question i have used Visual studio setup project.

Regards,

Showkath.

Best Regards Showkath

Thursday, May 2, 2013 9:44 AM
  • Why do you need an alternative? What about running devenv.exe /setup is not adequate for your purposes?
    • Marked as answer by Showkath Ali Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:08 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Showkath Ali Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:08 AM
    Saturday, May 4, 2013 12:28 PM