Fake reviews and ratings RRS feed

• Question

• I'm noticing a competitors app in the store has a lot of, what look like, fake reviews.  Almost all are 5 stars and most have a misspelling or are gibberish or are not even relevant to the app. Is there anyone paying attention to this?  The app in question is high up in the overall top free category.  Is the only way to do well in the store to get a bunch of fake reviews? I hope not.

Friday, February 1, 2013 7:46 PM

Answers

•  Also I would recommend going through and saying if comments are useful or not, also people can mark them as spam.

That's just as open to abuse as the original rating. If you can get 30 accounts to post fake positive reviews, you can also mark genuine positive reviews as 'spam' or 'not useful'.

This is absolutely an issue, but it is an issue that can plague any store, iTunes, Google Play, Yelp, etc. I am not sure that anyone can solve it to be honest. It all sort of works out in the end though and you have to just trust that developers wouldn't do that to other developers.

http://www.refractored.com

Sunday, February 3, 2013 6:32 PM

All replies

• They will all work out in the end. If an app is bad the more downloads it gets the more 1 stars it will start getting. Also I would recommend going through and saying if comments are useful or not, also people can mark them as spam. I am not sure how often people do this, but I make it a habit on any app that I personally use on Windows or Android.

Friday, February 1, 2013 9:10 PM
  •  Also I would recommend going through and saying if comments are useful or not, also people can mark them as spam.

That's just as open to abuse as the original rating. If you can get 30 accounts to post fake positive reviews, you can also mark genuine positive reviews as 'spam' or 'not useful'.

Friday, February 1, 2013 10:50 PM

This is absolutely an issue, but it is an issue that can plague any store, iTunes, Google Play, Yelp, etc. I am not sure that anyone can solve it to be honest. It all sort of works out in the end though and you have to just trust that developers wouldn't do that to other developers.

Sunday, February 3, 2013 6:32 PM
  • I think James gave a wonderful answer here, but I wanted to add a note.

As someone who works in the store, I have taken part in reviews being removed. Multiple contacts to the person who left the feedback are always made, and just because it is a negative review, in no way justifies having a review taken down. But if it becomes visible that an app is being targeted (trolled) with reviews, we do take action. So to add to James, it is something that plagues every store, and  the internet as a whole, but we are working on methods to protect both our users and developers from going through this.

Thanks for the posts everyone, great discussion!

-Robert

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:28 PM
  • I think my original comment was misunderstood. What it seems is happening is that an app is getting lots of fake reviews that are GOOD and those are helping it move higher in the free category in the store.  There are many 5 star reviews that are completely irrelevant to the app or are gibberish.  It seems like they figured out how to spam the store with fake 5 star reviews.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 11:54 PM