none
LNK1158 cannot run "cvtres.exe" with Visual Studio 2015

Question

• I am generating a KMDF Driver in Visual Studio 2015.  My project successfully compiled last week.  After changing a word in a comment line, I now get a LNK1158 error.  To date, I have (1) replaced all the .h file and the .rc files as I was informed that if they were corrupted, that might cause an issue. (2) I have verified that the cvtres.exe file is in a directory covered by the PATH environment variable.  And (3) I have repaired Visual Studio 2015.  But, I am still getting the error.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

I just discovered that this is bigger than the Driver.  My other project now gets the same error with "Cannot run "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin\cvtres.exe"  when I know the file is there.  So, the real question is "What does LINK need to run this program?"

• Edited by Simgodflowers Tuesday, September 20, 2016 12:50 PM Additional Information
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 11:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Simgodflwers,

Since your project is a driver project, in order to exclude any affect that will effect the issue, I still recommend your uninstall the Updates for Adobe Reader to check this issue.

In addition, please check whether there has any antivirus software on your machine, which change some settings on your machine when scanning your machine.

After installing Update 3, please feel free to tell us whether it resolve this issue. Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Simgodflowers Tuesday, September 27, 2016 8:43 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Simgodflowers,

Since this issue occurs after last week, please check whether there has any update installed on your machine, especially some updates related to drivers and Visual Studio.

I suggest you create a new KMDF Driver project to check whether the new project also has this issue. If the new project also has this issue, I'm afraid that there has any issue on your Visual Studio installation. Please troubleshoot this issue with following steps.

1. Check the cvtres.exe folder permission to confirm it has all read/write permission.
    2. Run your Visual Studio in safe mode to check whether this issue caused by third part extensions.
    3. Close all third part software when running Visual Studio, such as antivirus.

If the new project doesn't have this issue, there should something referenced in your project causes this issue. You could move the original project files to the new project one by one to confirm which one causes this issue.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 5:46 AM
  • Thank you for the quick response.  I'm confused on the read/write permissions as I have VS 2015 loaded on other computers which only have read & Execute permissions and it works fine on those computers.  However, I made the changes on the suspect computer with no luck.  Running VS in Safe Mode did no change the results.  I did not create a new KMDF Driver project because I confirmed that there was nothing wrong with the existing project.  I moved the project to another computer with the same setup and it built correctly.  With that said, I guess I'm down to doing a complete reinstall of VS 2015 for the 4th time this year.  It saddens me that VS has become so fragile and susceptible that it periodically needs to be reinstalled.  Previous versions were not this susceptible.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:38 AM
  • Hi Simgodflowers,

Do you have checked there has any updates installed before this issue occurs? You could check them from Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> View Installed Updates.

In addition, please check whether your Visual Studio 2015 has installed the latest Update, which has fixed a lot of bugs in Visual Studio. You could get the Update from below link.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/releasenotes/vs2015-update3-vs

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, September 22, 2016 4:39 AM
  • No updates were made to the computer which affect Visual Studio.  Updates were made on Adobe Reader, but that should have no effect on Visual Studio.

I'm currently running Update 2 and I am waiting on Administrator Access Rights from my IT department to install Update 3.  Hopefully, I will get them this week and can install Update 3.

Monday, September 26, 2016 9:19 AM
  • Hi Simgodflwers,

Since your project is a driver project, in order to exclude any affect that will effect the issue, I still recommend your uninstall the Updates for Adobe Reader to check this issue.

In addition, please check whether there has any antivirus software on your machine, which change some settings on your machine when scanning your machine.

After installing Update 3, please feel free to tell us whether it resolve this issue. Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by Simgodflowers Tuesday, September 27, 2016 8:43 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 7:30 AM
  • I finally received full administrator rights on my computer and successfully installed Visual Studio 2016 Update 3.  This resolved the issue.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 8:42 AM