none
Calculating the yaw, pitch, and roll of the head using the head tracking data RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has attempted, or been able to calculate the yaw, pitch, and roll of the head joint with any accuracy. I'm use the Beta 2 SDK for Kinect and I have an application that saves the head x,y,z data. I find myself needing to test the accuracy of virtual reality glasses for part of my senior design project. The glasses use accelerometers in order to calculate the yaw, pitch, and roll of the head and my adviser wants to make sure these are producing accurate data.

I have been searching all over the internet for ways to go about this and have not found any answers. My adviser insists that since I have the Cartesian coordinates of the head it should be an "easy" calculation to get the yaw, pitch, and roll data.

Thank you,

Ryan

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:28 PM

All replies

• Currently, I do not believe that this is possible with the information that you are provided. You can get the x/y/z co-ordinates of the head, but no rotational data.

However, I have reason to believe that the next version of K4W SDK might include something which may help you with this. It is worth waiting to see.

Clever, witty forum signature.

• Proposed as answer by Michael Osthege Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:14 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:52 PM