Taking in an array of classes from a web service RRS feed

• Question

• User1260485540 posted

I'm currently writing a basic VB ASP.NET web application that connects to a geolocation web service. The web service allows a user to enter as much information they know about an address, and then replies back with a suggestion list of possible locations of the address. The user then sends the information back across, this time with a suggestion selected and it goes back and forth until a specific address is found. Below is a screenshot from soapUI showing an incomplete address: 510 Marketplace Blvd, Lansing MI, 48917, and the suggestion list that the web service responds with. There are 10 suggestions in the list. (The correct address should be 510 NORTH Marketplace Blvd, Lansing MI, 48917 which is the address of a business called Tractor Supply.)

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByzA8bp3rNK6Nmd0MUpYUEllejQ

I've added the web service's WSDL as a service reference already. As far as I can tell, the suggestion list comes in as an array of classes. How do I take in this array of classes and make it usable? What I'm doing at the moment is dumping it out to a multiline text box.

Here is a snippet of the code that I have written:

Dim mspGeocodeResponse As New MSPGeocode.GeocodeResponse
            mspGeocodeResponse.Address = New MSPGeocode.ExtendedAddressType
            mspGeocodeResponse.Address.Coordinates = New MSPGeocode.CoordinatesType
            mspGeocodeResponse.Address.suggestionList(100) = New MSPGeocode.FLSuggestionType

mspGeocodeResponse = mspGeocode.Geocode(mspGeocodeRequest)

For i As Integer = mspGeocodeResponse.Address.suggestionList.GetLowerBound(0) _
            To mspGeocodeResponse.Address.suggestionList.GetUpperBound(0)
                resultsBuilder.Append("Suggestion ").Append(mspGeocodeResponse.Address.suggestionList(i).SuggestionNumber).AppendLine()
                resultsBuilder.Append(vbTab).Append("Street Number Low: ").Append(mspGeocodeResponse.Address.suggestionList(i).StreetNumberLow).AppendLine()
                resultsBuilder.Append(vbTab).Append("Street Number High: ").Append(mspGeocodeResponse.Address.suggestionList(i).StreetNumberHigh).AppendLine()
                resultsBuilder.Append(vbTab).Append("Street Prefix: ").Append(mspGeocodeResponse.Address.suggestionList(i).StreetPrefix).AppendLine()
                resultsBuilder.Append(vbTab).Append("Street Name: ").Append(mspGeocodeResponse.Address.suggestionList(i).StreetName).AppendLine()
                resultsBuilder.Append(vbTab).Append("Street Suffix: ").Append(mspGeocodeResponse.Address.suggestionList(i).StreetSuffix).AppendLine()
            Next

Here is the declaration of the suggestion list class within Reference.vb:

Partial Public Class FLSuggestionType
            Inherits Object
            Implements System.ComponentModel.INotifyPropertyChanged

Private suggestionNumberField As Integer

Private streetNumberLowField As String

Private streetNumberHighField As String

Private streetPrefixField As String

Private streetNameField As String

Private streetSuffixField As String

Private quadrantField As String

Private firmField As String

Private unitTypeField As String

Private unitNumberLowField As String

Private unitNumberHighField As String

And here is that class nested inside of the address class:

Partial Public Class ExtendedAddressType
            Inherits Object
            Implements System.ComponentModel.INotifyPropertyChanged

Private suggestionListField() As FLSuggestionType

Private streetPrefixField As String

When I run the application and type in the address "510 Marketplace Blvd, Lansing MI, 48917" to get the suggestion list back, I get an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." error. Image of that below.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByzA8bp3rNK6MDFPaFJDbng2cWc

I assume my syntax is wrong somewhere, but after tons of research of trying different cominations of things, I can't seem to get it pull in the suggestion list. Does anyone have any suggestions?

P.S. Sorry for using Google Drive for the images. I would have used an imagehosting service and embedded them, but my workplace blocks all of those sites.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 10:33 AM

Answers

• User-1828494216 posted

Hi someone31988

usually one does not have to initialize sub classes/objects, variables in a main class/object. Ofcourse it is hard to say for sure since you didn't mention what service you are using neither showes the source of the response object. I'm also sure that they have some kind of documentation available that will help you.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, July 27, 2012 2:55 PM

All replies

• User-1828494216 posted

Hi someone31988

usually one does not have to initialize sub classes/objects, variables in a main class/object. Ofcourse it is hard to say for sure since you didn't mention what service you are using neither showes the source of the response object. I'm also sure that they have some kind of documentation available that will help you.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, July 27, 2012 2:55 PM
  • User1260485540 posted

Thanks for the information. Uninitializing the MSPgeocodeResponse subclasses fixed the issue. I am baffled, though, because on the request side, I actually have to initialize a subclass for it to work, so therefore I carried through and did the same with the response. Do you know why it works for one and not the other? The request delaration and initialization looks like this:

Dim mspGeocodeRequest As New MSPGeocode.GeocodeRequest
    mspGeocodeRequest.Address = New MSPGeocode.AddressType

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 9:32 AM
  • User-1828494216 posted

Hi someone31988

request and response object have their own purpose.

Request object usually holds some data that you send to the service (e.g. address). I'm sure you do realize that one must initialize and populate that object with some data even if it is just a simple string (yes string is also an object).

Response is usually an object that the service returns. Of course that object holds data, but that object is initialized and populated with data on the service side. On client side you usually just define the type of the object and assign the returned value from service to it.

Imagine client and service...

/// <summary>
            /// Client
            /// </summary>
            /// <param name="args"></param>
            static void Main(string[] args)
            {
                //First you need to initialize and populate your
                //request object since you need to send City to
                //the service
                RequestObject myCity = new RequestObject();
                myCity.City = "Ljubljana";

//You don't have to initialize the response object
                //you just have to declare the response object type
                ResposeObject myCountry = getCountry(myCity);
                Console.WriteLine(String.Concat("City ", myCity.City, " is in ", myCountry.Country, "."));

Console.ReadKey();
            }

/// <summary>
            /// Service
            /// </summary>
            /// <param name="city"></param>
            /// <returns></returns>
            private static ResposeObject getCountry(RequestObject city)
            {
                return new ResposeObject { Country = "Slovenia" };
            }

private class RequestObject
            {
                public string City { get; set; }
            }

private class ResposeObject
            {
                public string Country { get; set; }
            }

Of course this is not by any case a real service, it's just an example of how request and response objects are passed between them because one example can usually say more than a 1000 words.

I tried to keep it as simple as I could so that you'd understand the basic principle.

Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:01 AM
  • User1260485540 posted

So essentially, I must initialize the request since I'm doing the work of populating it with data, but the service will initialize the response since it's doing the work of populating THAT with data. I hadn't thought about it that way. Thank you very much. Your information was very helpful.

Friday, August 3, 2012 10:10 AM