Application State question RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question on Application State, which is not consistent.

I have been working on a windows store app

Scenario 1

I launch the application, I see splash screen, then I see the application which runs as if it started fresh. This is good.

I close the application

I launch it again. I see the splash screen, then I see the application screen. This is also good.

Scenario 2

I launch the application. I see the splash screen and followed by application screen. As expected.

Move to different application. (did not close my windows store application yet)

Launch the application from the Start. There is no splash screen, application screen comes right away. This is also as expected

Scenario 3

I launch the application. I see the splash screen and followed by application screen. As expected.

This time I close my windows store application

Launch different application such as IE

Launch the application from the start again. I expect to see the splash screen, but not. It goes right into application screen and displays where it left last time. This behavior is exactly same as Scenario 2, whereas I expected to act like scenario 1.

Is that correct?

• Edited by biprism Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:35 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:56 AM

Answers

• It depends on several things and will be slightly different for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 apps and on what exactly you mean by closing the app.

The basic rules on the splash screen are:

• You will see the splash screen if the app launches from scratch.
    • You will not see the splash screen if the app is in memory, whether it is running or suspended.

The difference in your scenarios is whether the app is suspended or not and isn't completely deterministic. If you terminate the app then the next launch will show the splash screen. If you suspend it then the app may still be in memory when relaunched and won't show the splash screen, or it may get cleared from memory and need to show the splash screen.

In your Scenario 3 the app must have suspended but not been terminated. Since it was still in memory it resumed to the same place it was previously without needing to show the start screen.

Matt blogged about differences between the swipe-down-to-close gesture between Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 at Swipe-Down-to-Kill Changes in Windows 8.1 Store apps

--Rob

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:40 AM

All replies

• It depends on several things and will be slightly different for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 apps and on what exactly you mean by closing the app.

The basic rules on the splash screen are:

• You will see the splash screen if the app launches from scratch.
    • You will not see the splash screen if the app is in memory, whether it is running or suspended.

The difference in your scenarios is whether the app is suspended or not and isn't completely deterministic. If you terminate the app then the next launch will show the splash screen. If you suspend it then the app may still be in memory when relaunched and won't show the splash screen, or it may get cleared from memory and need to show the splash screen.

In your Scenario 3 the app must have suspended but not been terminated. Since it was still in memory it resumed to the same place it was previously without needing to show the start screen.

Matt blogged about differences between the swipe-down-to-close gesture between Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 at Swipe-Down-to-Kill Changes in Windows 8.1 Store apps

--Rob

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:40 AM
  • Closing my windows app means I close by using Close gesture (swiping from the top using my mouse, have no Touch screen)

I'm using VS 2012 and on windows 8.1

I agree with you on Basic rules

It looks like scenario 3 kept the application in suspended mode as if I did not close the application as in scenario 2, even though I did close the application as in scenario 1.

I will look into Matt's Blog.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:34 PM