Is there a way to create a new field (in Main data source) as a carbon copy of existing one? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a field with a very complex system of rules and validadations applyed to it. Is there a way to create a new one as a copy of existing one -  with the same exact set of rules and validations???

By the way, when I copy a field control on the form and change the binding - all the rules disappear, so I figured out that this is not a control, but data element issue.

I would hate to repeat all the rules setup steps (I need 10 of those!!!)

Thank you!

Friday, October 14, 2011 6:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In InfoPath 2010, this is possible to copy Actions, Data validation or conditionnal formatting...

But in InfoPath 2007, there is no way to do this.

If you know how InfoPath works, you can modify directly the files with extensions "xsl" for the conditional formatting and the file with extension ".xsf" for the data validation and actions.

I know it's not user fiendly but you will safe time and avoid errors by redefining all the rules from ther interface.

Hope this helps.

Cordially.

Visit my blog : http://rmatayron.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by Natalie Kash Monday, October 17, 2011 2:56 PM
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 9:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In InfoPath 2010, this is possible to copy Actions, Data validation or conditionnal formatting...

But in InfoPath 2007, there is no way to do this.

If you know how InfoPath works, you can modify directly the files with extensions "xsl" for the conditional formatting and the file with extension ".xsf" for the data validation and actions.

I know it's not user fiendly but you will safe time and avoid errors by redefining all the rules from ther interface.

Hope this helps.

Cordially.

Visit my blog : http://rmatayron.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by Natalie Kash Monday, October 17, 2011 2:56 PM
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 9:15 AM
  • Thank you for the hint!

Will try to go though the files.

Monday, October 17, 2011 2:57 PM