none
SQL Server 2014

Question

• Hi,

I'm going to install SQL Server 2014 Enterprise Edition on windows server 2012R2, basically this will be the Report Server, where I am going to install SSIS, SSAS, SSRS. I want to know how many drives and capacity for each drive should be present.

Thanks in Advance. Your help will be highly appreciated.  

• Moved by CoolDadTx Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:37 PM SQL related
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:29 PM

All replies

• You are giving us too little information.

I would throw out 6.

c

d - binaries

e data files

f log files

t tempdb

z bakcups

I normally use as a base 200 Gigs for C, D, 500 for F, T.  E and Z can be terrabytes. Your actual requirements may vary wildly.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:58 PM
  • . I want to know how many drives and capacity for each drive should be present.

Thanks in Advance. Your help will be highly appreciated.  

Frankly we cannot tell you the number of drives and the capacity, we can only give you some vauge figures which may or may not be applicable to you. You should discuss this within your team.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:16 PM
  • I agree with Hilary's drive layout suggestion.

As far as drive sizing, that's totally dependent upon the size of you database(s).

You need to know what the initial size of the database(s) are and estimate the data growth rate for the next six months to a year, at least.

Typically, you want to size data drives to accommodate total database sizes for the next 6 months to a year + at least an extra 20-30% free space. The free space helps with error factor (in case growth projections are off) and also to allow enough room for disk intensive maintenance like DBCC, index rebuild/reorg and disk defragmentation. 

For example, if the database size is 50GB today, and is projected to grow to 70GB in a year, then size the data drive at 100GB, which allows 30% free space.

Determining proper storage as well as other system resource requirements for new application projects is known as 'Capacity Planning', and should be a key planning and requirements gathering activity in any new database application project.

Hope that helps,

Phil Streiff, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSA

• Edited by philfactor Friday, March 24, 2017 1:36 PM
    Friday, March 24, 2017 1:13 PM