Custom "toast" notifications RRS feed

• Question

• I am writing an extension to Lync to support starting a conversation with a third-party conferencing platform from the Lync client.  I want to add an additional item to a contact's context menu that will send that contact an custom notification with a link to the third-party conferencing system.  The recipient can then click on the link in the toast which will send them to a web site where they can join a session on the third-party conferencing system.

I cannot seem to figure out how to accomplish this using the Lync APIs or even if this is possible.

Any ideas?

I came across this item, but seems a little involved for what I want to do:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh243709.aspx

Saturday, November 5, 2011 12:15 AM

Answers

• If you really want it to appear in the "toast", that is the pop up window that comes up for an INVITE, then you can do that, but the Lync UI will not make that "clickable". 

If all you need to do is show the user a link, then just send the link as a message in the conversation.  As long as the site in the link is in the trusted sites link and the Lync admin group policy allows clickable links, the user can just click on the link in the conversation window.

Oscar Newkerk

Oscarnew Consulting

• Proposed as answer by Oscarn Saturday, November 5, 2011 1:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mekon2 Monday, November 7, 2011 5:56 PM
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 1:22 AM

All replies

• If you really want it to appear in the "toast", that is the pop up window that comes up for an INVITE, then you can do that, but the Lync UI will not make that "clickable". 

If all you need to do is show the user a link, then just send the link as a message in the conversation.  As long as the site in the link is in the trusted sites link and the Lync admin group policy allows clickable links, the user can just click on the link in the conversation window.

Oscar Newkerk

Oscarnew Consulting

• Proposed as answer by Oscarn Saturday, November 5, 2011 1:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mekon2 Monday, November 7, 2011 5:56 PM
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 1:22 AM
  • As well as Oscar's answer, i'm wondering if one of these options might work for you?

Adding Commands to Lync 2010 Menus

Integrating a Third-Party Collaboration Application with Lync 2010

Michael Greenlee more detail on these here

Friday, November 11, 2011 10:16 AM
  • Hi,

The question is quite old but I am facing a similar requirement where  I wanted to know is ,

is it possible to "dock" the toast message in a win/wpf form similar to a Conversation window.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:04 AM