CryptographicKey.ExportPublicKey into a non encrypted PEM file RRS feed

• Question

• Well, after many hours of banging my head against the monitor, this is my last "bump" into this journey.

I need to sign some data in a windows store app, but said data has to be validated by another company.

I've resorted to create the key pair inside the app and store it, for continuous use, but I need to extract the public key into a PEM format.

Right now I'm trying this:

CryptographicBuffer.EncodeToBase64String(keyPair.ExportPublicKey(CryptographicPublicKeyBlobType.Pkcs1RsaPublicKey));

But even after adding the BEGIN and END lines requird by the PEM format, I can't seem to verify the signature as the key isn't valid.

I've read that they keys are exported in a encrypted form, so how can I get the public key in a way I can use it or convert it to the format I need?

Monday, December 16, 2013 1:18 PM

Answers

• They don't need to verify the private key.

They will only get the public key so they can verify the signature and confirm the data hasn't been tampered with.

Anyway, I went another way and got what I needed working.

Marking as closed.

EDIT

Adding some info for anyone who face the same issue. 

I got around it by:

- Creating private and public keys using openssl, with the specifications i needed.

- Using the RSACryptoServiceProviderExtension sample from the awsome Christian Etter, wrote a small console app that would load the PEM Private Key, and export a CspBlob from said key, setting the parameter includePrivateParameters as 'true'.

(Blob was exported as a string using Convert.ToBase64String method.)

- On the WinRT app, use said blob, converted back to a byte array, to create the key pair, like this:

keyPair = Algorithm.ImportKeyPair(privKeyBlob.AsBuffer(), CryptographicPrivateKeyBlobType.Capi1PrivateKey);

It's a bit of a workaround, but it works.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 9:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Nuno,

If you're creating a public/private key pair in the app, how can the other company properly verify that the private key comes from the app.  Any app can then generate a key and sign some data and send it to the company.  That is why a private key should be associated with a certificate and have the chain of trust lead to a trusted CA that can vouch for the validity of the subject.

Thanks

Carlos Lopez - Microsoft Escalation Engineer

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 12:57 AM
  • They don't need to verify the private key.

They will only get the public key so they can verify the signature and confirm the data hasn't been tampered with.

Anyway, I went another way and got what I needed working.

Marking as closed.

EDIT

Adding some info for anyone who face the same issue. 

I got around it by:

- Creating private and public keys using openssl, with the specifications i needed.

- Using the RSACryptoServiceProviderExtension sample from the awsome Christian Etter, wrote a small console app that would load the PEM Private Key, and export a CspBlob from said key, setting the parameter includePrivateParameters as 'true'.

(Blob was exported as a string using Convert.ToBase64String method.)

- On the WinRT app, use said blob, converted back to a byte array, to create the key pair, like this:

keyPair = Algorithm.ImportKeyPair(privKeyBlob.AsBuffer(), CryptographicPrivateKeyBlobType.Capi1PrivateKey);

It's a bit of a workaround, but it works.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 9:49 AM