none
The underlying provider failed on Open wierd error RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I have a client WPF application which was able to connect without any trouble to my SQL express database.
    Suddenly when running the app in VS2010, I get suddendly the error :

"The underlying provider failed on Open".

My connection string is as follow in my DataModel libray project :

<connectionStrings>
        <add name="ProductsEntities" connectionString="metadata=res://*/Model.Products.csdl|res://*/Model.Products.ssdl|res://*/Model.Products.msl;provider=System.Data.SqlClient;provider connection string=&quot;data source=.\SQLEXPRESS;initial catalog=Knauf;integrated security=True;multipleactiveresultsets=True;App=EntityFramework&quot;" providerName="System.Data.EntityClient" />
      </connectionStrings>

What could be wrong suddenly ?

I can connect without any trouble to my database through SQL server studio.

Thnaks for advise

reagrds

serge

Your knowledge is enhanced by that of others.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:51 PM

Answers

• For some reason that I am not explaining is that when connecting to my local sqlexpress instance server using sql qdmin studio or through traditionnnal connection string I am using .\SQLExpress  as server name.
    With Entity Framework connectionstring to get it work I have to use localhost\SQLExpress

Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:38 AM

All replies

• For some reason that I am not explaining is that when connecting to my local sqlexpress instance server using sql qdmin studio or through traditionnnal connection string I am using .\SQLExpress  as server name.
    With Entity Framework connectionstring to get it work I have to use localhost\SQLExpress

Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:38 AM
  • Hi Serge Calderara,

Thanks for your sharing.

Best Regards

Allen Li [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, October 26, 2012 1:49 AM