Would it be better to use the latest Windows 10 SDK? RRS feed

• Question

• I've downloaded the source code for the 2 App Studio apps I've authored. Now I would like to proceed using Visual Studio 2017. I went to open one of them and it informed me that I would to download the Windows 10 SDK. I'm OK with that, but wouldn't it be better if I used the current Windows 10 SDK that's compatible with VS 2017?

Rod

Saturday, September 30, 2017 12:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Rod,

Firstly, you need to at least make sure your Visual Studio has installed the Windows 10 SDK of your app's target version so that you could open it.

It could be better to use the latest SDK so that more features or function could be available. You can also upgrade your app's target version by right-clicking the project and select Properties:

And you could select your Target version:

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 2, 2017 6:46 AM
  • Hi Matthew, 

Tonight I had some time to get back to this. I tried opening the project and again got the warning about needing the Windows 10 SDK. However, this time I thought to get into the Visual Studio Installer. I did and found that I already have the Windows 10 SDK installed, although its a newer version than the one they want me to install. (I've got 10.0.14393.0). 

I'm working with VS 2017 Community Edition. What do I need to do, in order to change which Windows 10 SDK the App Studio projects I've downloaded use?

Rod

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 3:42 AM
  • Hi Rod,

>What do I need to do, in order to change which Windows 10 SDK the App Studio projects I've downloaded use?

I find the target version of app from App Studio is Windows 10, 10586 by default. You could follow the steps above to change your project's target version to Windows 10, 14393 version.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 7:00 AM