Microsoft.Owin.Security.Google and the deprecation of Google plus RRS feed

• Question

• User369345748 posted

I use Microsoft.Owin.Security.Google down loaded from Nuget to provide Google Authentication to a MVC app.   Google have announced the shutdown of Google plus,  & have highlighted direct API call changes to make if you call its API directly.   

Does anyone know if the OWIN library is OK, or what we should be doing to keep these apps working?

Monday, January 7, 2019 4:27 PM

All replies

• User1724605321 posted

Hi Richard Scannell ,

Microsoft.Owin.Security.Google contains middlewares to support Google's OAuth 2.0 authentication workflow. It doesn't care about whether a specific google product/service (Google +)  is shutdown . 

Best Regards,

Nan Yu

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 3:26 AM
  • User369345748 posted

Hi Nan Yu

Thank you for this.  Is this across all versions of OWIN.Security or do I need to be on the latest version?  ALso is there any way to actively test the system before the google plus switch off?

Thank again 

Regards Richard

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 9:05 AM
  • User369345748 posted

IE is there a way to force OWIN to emulate a deprecated Google Service?  

Thanks again

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 9:43 AM
  • User753101303 posted

Hi,

"emulating a deprecated service" doesn't seems to really make sense. Google + is a services that uses authentication but I don't see why shuting down this service should change how authentication works (and which is used by all other Google services).

Maybe should you point us here you saw those 'highlited direct API call changes" so that we can better understand if they really have something to do with how users are authenticated ?

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 10:36 AM
  • User1301903072 posted

Apparently the Microsoft.Owin.Security.Google assembly does reference the Google+ API and that has to be changed.

A new version was released this month that takes care of it. Here is a discussion on the AaspNetKatana GitHub site with more information:

https://github.com/aspnet/AspNetKatana/issues/251

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 3:43 PM