none
Memory usage – Private Bytes, Page File Bytes RRS feed

• Question

• Memory usage – Private Bytes, Page File Bytes

Hi

I have question about two counters from perfmon application: Private Bytes, Page File Bytes - both

are from Process group.

I have W7 32 bits, 4 GB RAM.

I want measure amout of all memory that is used by my process.

I run my .NET 3.5 WinFroms application and I see in perfmon that Private Bytes and and Page File Bytes for my app are exactly the same (about 100 MB) !   Why? Does it mean that all data are stored on disk?

If yes it does not make any sens becasue I have maximum available memory for 32bits – 4 GB.

Regards

kicaj
    Friday, February 11, 2011 8:56 AM

Answers

• Hi kicaj,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN forum.

Page File Bytes performance counter is actually the total process private committed memory, of which none, some or all may be in the paging file (In fact, it's the same as the Process: Private Bytes performance counter).

Page File Bytes is the current amount of virtual memory, in bytes, that this process has reserved for use in the paging file(s). Paging files are used to store pages of memory used by the process that are not contained in other files. Paging files are shared by all processes, and the lack of space in paging files can prevent other processes from allocating memory. If there is no paging file, this counter reflects the current amount of virtual memory that the process has reserved for use in physical memory.

Cookie Luo[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Cookie Luo Friday, February 18, 2011 8:21 AM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 5:57 AM