Windows form designer: VS2008 editing tab order of form controls obstructs the controls RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if there is a work-around for changing the tabindex of controls on a windows form?

I have a full-screen form with lots of small labels and textboxes, and when I select 

View > Tab Order

the numbers painted on the screen obscure the location of the controls.  Is there a way to make the font smaller, or eleiminate the tabindex number assignment for labels?

Thanks,

-BGood
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 4:37 AM

Answers

• Hi BGood,

There's no option in Visual Studio to set the font of tab order design feature. In addition, I'm afraid there's no way to eliminate the value of the TabIndex property of controls on a form.

Sincerely,
    Linda Liu

• Marked as answer by BGood Friday, March 6, 2009 1:29 PM
    Friday, March 6, 2009 8:01 AM

All replies

• Hi BGood,

There's no option in Visual Studio to set the font of tab order design feature. In addition, I'm afraid there's no way to eliminate the value of the TabIndex property of controls on a form.

Sincerely,
    Linda Liu

• Marked as answer by BGood Friday, March 6, 2009 1:29 PM
    Friday, March 6, 2009 8:01 AM
  • Hi Linda,

Thanks for the response.

Too bad.  A more user-friendly tab order utility would be a good addition to visual studio's form deisgner.  Currently, I have a data entry screen with 80 databound controls, with a label for each.  You can imagine how difficult it is to set the tab indexes correctly for the form.

-BGood
    Friday, March 6, 2009 1:29 PM
  • Hi BGood,

Thank you for your response! I understand your concern.

I suggest that you submit a suggestion on this issue in Micrsoft Connect web site:
    http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Feedback

Thank you for your contribution to Microsoft production!

Sincerely,
    Linda Liu

Monday, March 9, 2009 6:07 AM
  • Everyone will be pleased to know that the monstrosity known as Tab View is as bad as ever it was.  It's been over two years now.  Why would anyone create a piece of code that was absolutely useless except in the most trivial of cases?

Disgruntled,

Epsom.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:37 PM
  • djdaedaelus,

I agree. When I reported this as a problem in msconnect and suggested changing to a smaller font for display of taborder, the msconnect response was basically "too bad", nothing we can do about it.

In the meantime, I discovered the MZTools Visual Studio add-in which has an excellent TabOrder reorganizer and a lot of other useful tools for the Visual Studio developer. 

The author's name is Carlos and his website is http://mztools.com.

Good luck!

-BGood
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:14 PM