Can I connect Surface RT and PC with USB cable ?

Question

• It's too slow to debug with wifi .

And can I set no to deploy .pdb files to the device? 

• Edited by Raptor K Saturday, October 27, 2012 4:36 PM
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 4:32 PM

Answers

• See Running Windows Store apps on a remote machine:

The remote device and the Visual Studio computer must be connected over a network or connected directly through an Ethernet cable. Debugging over the internet is not supported.

You can control which symbols are loaded from the Debug.Options menu. Without symbols for your code it will be difficult to debug.

--Rob
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:06 PM
    Owner
  • OK - for anyone who wants to connect a surface to their development machine without an internet connection or router here's how I did it:

1 ... Bought a F4U047 USB 2.0 network adapter from radio shack and installed the drivers on the included disk on my Windows 8 development box.

2 ... Downloaded the Ax.... driver that Raptor K kindly supplied and copied it to a temp folder on my surface. installed by opening the inf file.

3 ... Connected a crossover network cable to my win 8 box and at the other end attached the usb adapter then plugged it into the surface.

4 ... Set the ip address for the win 8 box to 10.1.1.1 and 10.1.1.2 for the surface (set both subnet masks to 255.255.255.0 - not 255.0.0.0 which is the default).

5 ... Make sure both connections are private with file sharing turned on.

I should mention that I don't take credit for any of this information, it came from postings by others on the web. I just had to put it all together. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to post information like this.

• Marked as answer by Raptor K Monday, November 12, 2012 7:14 AM
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 1:34 PM

All replies

• See Running Windows Store apps on a remote machine:

The remote device and the Visual Studio computer must be connected over a network or connected directly through an Ethernet cable. Debugging over the internet is not supported.

You can control which symbols are loaded from the Debug.Options menu. Without symbols for your code it will be difficult to debug.

--Rob
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:06 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Raptor,

Please post one question per thread. When you create the app package you can uncheck "Include public symbol files."

--Rob

Monday, October 29, 2012 5:31 AM
    Owner
  • I believe that debugging over USB is not possible, but in the link that Rob posted it is possible to do it over a wired Ethernet connection.

That link describes that a USB to Ethernet adaptor may be used on devices which do not have an Ethernet port.  I assume this applies to Surface, but I've seen a few mentions that Surface may not support such an adaptor.

Has anyone had any luck with this, and if so are there any particular adaptors to look out for?  I assume nothing out there at the moment will have Win RT drivers so is there something which is USB class compliant (which I believe means it doesn't need a custom driver)?

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:25 PM
  • Thanks, I can use Apple USB to Ethernet adaptor.  I asked the manufacturer for the winrt driver.  It's now fast enough.

Win8 Developer QQ Group 95331609

• Edited by Raptor K Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:48 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:43 PM
  • I have an Ethernet crossover cable and a USB adapter but have no idea how to configure my development PC or the surface so that they will connect. I connected over my home wireless network but that option is obviously not viable if I am on the road. Any information about this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 12:43 AM
  • The stage I'm at is that I got hold of an Apple USB to Ethernet adaptor as Raptor K suggested.  The Surface successfully recognises the device, but Windows RT can't find a driver for it. 

I did some research and it seems that the adaptor in question uses an Asix AX88722 chip.  I wrote to Asix about obtaining a driver but have had no reply yet. 

Have you had any luck with getting your Surface to recognise your adaptor?

@Raptor - would you be willing to share the driver you obtained?

Thursday, November 8, 2012 12:50 AM
  • I put it on the SkyDrive. https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=62C178358AEE6CC2!150&authkey=!AEK0vIyVrcIW4FU

No setup, so you should install it manually.

• Edited by Raptor K Thursday, November 8, 2012 1:26 AM
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 1:23 AM
  • Thank you sir!  After a little head scratching, here's how I installed it in case anyone else is wondering:

- Extract the zip

- Right click on the .inf and choose 'Install'

- Go to Device Manager and find your device (mine was called Apple USB Ethernet Adapter)

- Right click and choose 'Update Driver Software'

- Choose 'Browse my computer for driver software' and then 'Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer'

- Choose 'Network adapters' from the list and click Next

- Choose ASIX AX8872 (should be first one in the list) and click Next

- Windows gives you a warning it may not be the right driver.  Ignore this and tell it to carry one because you know better!

Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:33 AM
  • Is the driver for the PC or surface and does this just work with the apple adapter? mine is a belkin adapter.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:40 AM
  • The driver is for AX88772(A/B) chip from  ASIX,on Windows RT , I think many adapters use it.
    • Edited by Raptor K Thursday, November 8, 2012 3:44 AM
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 3:41 AM
  • Nearly there - the driver seems to work for the belkin adapter - thanks. Can either of you give me some information about how I configure the windows 8 development machine and the surface so they see each other on the network. I have tried everything and I am not sure they are on the same workgroup because the PC shows WORKGROUP in the system listing but the surface says the workgroup is unavailable in the list but says it is in WORKGROUP if you go to change the device name. The network ID button is greyed out.
    Friday, November 9, 2012 2:31 AM
  • Sorry, I've only done this through a router.  In my case, as soon as the drivers were installed then Windows switched over to using the ethernet connection instead of wireless.  If you search the web for 'connecting computer without router' or similar there seem to be a lot of guides out there, maybe one of those will provide the missing link!
    Friday, November 9, 2012 3:01 PM
  • how about you Raptor - the posts seem to indicate that I have to assign static ip's that follow on for each device (e.g. 192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0.2) but they also indicate that both the pc and surface should be on the same workgroup which I think may be where I'm having an issue - any information regarding your (or anyone elses) setup would be greatly appreciated.
    Saturday, November 10, 2012 3:24 AM
  • I have two net cards on PC (A connected to router and B to Surface).  Set internet sharing on A to B, then the surface will get an IP automatically. 

Win8 Developer QQ Group 95331609

Saturday, November 10, 2012 4:17 AM
  • Thanks for the information, I was hoping to do this while travelling and had hoped I could use a direct cable connection. I'll let you know if I have any success otherwise I may have to buy some sort of portable router but that will be my last resort because it will be another piece of equipment stuffed into an already overloaded backpack. also thanks again for the adapter driver, that was a life saver.

Saturday, November 10, 2012 1:43 PM
  • OK - for anyone who wants to connect a surface to their development machine without an internet connection or router here's how I did it:

1 ... Bought a F4U047 USB 2.0 network adapter from radio shack and installed the drivers on the included disk on my Windows 8 development box.

2 ... Downloaded the Ax.... driver that Raptor K kindly supplied and copied it to a temp folder on my surface. installed by opening the inf file.

3 ... Connected a crossover network cable to my win 8 box and at the other end attached the usb adapter then plugged it into the surface.

4 ... Set the ip address for the win 8 box to 10.1.1.1 and 10.1.1.2 for the surface (set both subnet masks to 255.255.255.0 - not 255.0.0.0 which is the default).

5 ... Make sure both connections are private with file sharing turned on.

I should mention that I don't take credit for any of this information, it came from postings by others on the web. I just had to put it all together. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to post information like this.

• Marked as answer by Raptor K Monday, November 12, 2012 7:14 AM
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 1:34 PM