Solution.Open does not populate solution into recent projects and solutions list RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Ist it possible to open a solution programmatically and populate it to the "recent projects and solutions" submenu?

I am using Solution.Open() for this. The solution gets opened but it is not shown in the recent project submenu.

Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Studio 2012

Thanks,

Stefan

Thursday, January 3, 2013 8:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Stefan,

I believe these are persisted when the IDE is shut down. If you close the IDE with the project loaded, you should see it added to the list. Is this not the case, or are you perhaps closing the solution programatically as well?

Thanks,

Ed Dore

Thursday, January 3, 2013 5:49 PM
  • I am seeing the same issue. Basically opening a solution using Solution.Open is not updating the File->Recent Projects and Solutions list. However, that list is updated right away if you open a solution using the File->Open->Project/Solution. Is there another way to open the solution that would update this or is there an automation or extension interface that would allow manipulation of the list? Or do I have to find and manipulate the ProjectMRUList in the registry?

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 4:15 PM
  • I haven't tried it yet - just found it - but maybe I can use IVsMRUItemsStore. Assuming I can figure out what guid it is expecting for solutions.
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 4:22 PM
  • No that doesn't seem related. Ok so I've gone the route of manipulating the registry which works if I close and re-open vs but I don't want to do that. Is there some way to refresh the Recent Projects and Solutions menu when the registry has been changed?

[Edit] ... Actually manipulating the registry isn't good because VS' internal cache (beyond just what the menu shows) isn't updated so if you open another project/solution they just overwrite the registry with their cached info. So there must be another way to manipulate the project mru OR to tell VS to requery the registry to rebuild the project mru list. Does someone know of a way to do either of those?

• Edited by Andrew S Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:43 PM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:33 PM
  • I think this problem can be fixed by changing to use IVSSolution.OpenSolutionFile().

Regards,

Yangmei Ge

Monday, October 20, 2014 11:05 AM