Upgrading to Visual Studio 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• The team that I am working in currently has a large number of tests that have been written using the Moles mocking/stubbing framework (from Microsoft research)

We all have Microsoft MSDN professional subscriptions.

How can we upgrade to use .net 4.5?

It seems that moles (which was free to use) has been renamed fakes and moved into the Ultimate edition. Upgrading all of our licences to Ultimate would be very expensive and is not an option. Is there any way around this problem?

• Edited by cainem Sunday, November 25, 2012 11:42 AM
    Sunday, November 25, 2012 11:40 AM

Answers

• Microsoft Fakes (Unit Test Isolation) is available only in VS Ultimate 2012.

In other words you cannot use Microsoft Fakes with VS Professional 2012.

You will have to continue using VS2010, but you can take advantage of

.NET Framework 4.5 using Visual Studio 2010.

Thank you

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Cainem,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, November 26, 2012 8:08 AM
  • Microsoft Fakes (Unit Test Isolation) is available only in VS Ultimate 2012

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/compare

You can take advantage of .NET Framework 4.5 using Visual Studio 2010.

You will have to make sure that your Visual Studio 2010 has SP 1 installed prior to installing of .NET Framework 4.5.

When the .NET Framework 4.5 is installed on a computer that has Visual Studio 2010, the modified framework enables Visual Studio 2010 to target all the target contexts that Visual Studio 2012 can target, except that it cannot target the .NET Framework 4.5

You can get more information about .NET 4.5 compatibility here:

Compatibility of .NET Framework 4.5

Thank you

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:47 PM
  • Hello Teodora,

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. I think we must be misunderstanding each other.

The question asked was how can we upgrade our existing projects to use the .net 4.5 framework, without buying ultimate (which is a prohibitively expensive upgrade).

We have a large number of unit tests written using moles. We took the decision some time ago to use moles as it seemed to have some distinct advantages over other mocking frameworks and it was stated (about a year ago) on the Microsoft Research site that it would be "production-ized" in VS 2012. There was no mention that you would need the ultimate addition. Moles had always been free so we naively assumed that it would continue to be so.

Is there any solution to this problem or have we been left stranded on .net 4.0 ?

Thanks

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:33 PM
  • Microsoft Fakes (Unit Test Isolation) is available only in VS Ultimate 2012.

In other words you cannot use Microsoft Fakes with VS Professional 2012.

You will have to continue using VS2010, but you can take advantage of

.NET Framework 4.5 using Visual Studio 2010.

Thank you

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:25 PM
  • So are you saying that we can use .net 4.5 with visual studio 2010?

It doesn't seem to work on my machine and won't work according to this article here

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/pl-PL/vssetup/thread/8ab8782d-36f5-4b7a-a264-c68f2dd564f9
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 6:12 AM
  • Please read the blog I posted earlier:

Compatibility of .NET Framework 4.5

1. NET Framework 4.5 is an in-place update that replaces .NET Framework 4 (rather than a side-by-side installation).
    2. One of the first things you’ll notice about .NET 4.5 is the version number (4.0.30319) is the same as .NET 4; this is the practice used by other in-place updates.

Thank you

Thursday, November 29, 2012 6:24 AM