none
Windows server 2008 Named Pipes connectivity issues. RRS feed

• Question

• Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh the pain of it all :( !!

I have 5 virtual machines running inside VMware.

1 Windows server 2003 32 std R2 - AD and MSExchange
    2 Windows server 2003 32 std sp2 - SQL Server 2005
    3 Windows server 2003 32 std sp2 - MOSS WFE
    4 Windows server 2003 32 std sp2 - MOSS SPSSearch Central Admin

The four above are configured as all in sharepoint farm. They have been for around 2 years now.

Server number 5 is Windows 2008 x64 Server Standard Edition

What I am trying to do is migrate some Sharepointservices to Windows 2008 x64, namely web front end.

I have installed w2k8 x64 as a new Virtual machine
    I have connectred that machine to the domain and installed all the features and roles required as per MS white paper on migrating 32bit to 64bit web front ends

IIS
    Application Server
    .Net 3.0
    .Net 3.5 Sp1 + hotfixes

I then go to install sharepoint, no problem after slipstreaming SP1.

I then try connect Sharepoint installation to existing farm.

I can see the Database in the setup wizard (via NetBIOS)

I can add my username and password for the SQL server to the setup wizard and the progress to the next step.

When I hit next the first stage completed then the second stage (Connecting Sharepoint configuration database) bombs out.

Error

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Windows SharePoint Services 3
    Date:          19/03/2009 23:27:27
    Event ID:      5586
    Task Category: Database
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      wsgdev2008x64.office.stirlinghealthcare.com
    Description:
    Unknown SQL Exception 67 occured. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Windows SharePoint Services 3" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">5586</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>484</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-03-19T23:27:27.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>1894</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>wsgdev2008x64.office.stirlinghealthcare.com</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>67</Data>
        <Data>A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

AndLog Name:      Application
    Source:        SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard
    Date:          20/03/2009 09:39:50
    Event ID:      104
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      wsgdev2008x64.office.stirlinghealthcare.com
    Description:
    Failed to connect to the configuration database.
    An exception of type System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException was thrown.  Additional exception information: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(ServerInfo serverInfo, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, SqlConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(String host, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Int64 timerStart)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.OpenConnection()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.ExecuteNonQuery(SqlCommand command)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPDatabaseSequence.GetVersion(Guid id, Version defaultVersion, SqlSession session, SPDatabaseSequence sequence)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPContentDatabase.ValidateDatabaseSchemaCompatibility()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite.PreinitializeServer(SPRequest request)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.InitializeSPRequest()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.EnsureSPRequest()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.get_Request()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.EnsureListsData(Guid webId, String strListName)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.EnsureListsData(String strListName)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.Undirty()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPBaseCollection.System.Collections.IEnumerable.GetEnumerator()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPAdministrationWebApplication.get_AdministrativeTasks()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPAdministrationWebApplication.EnsureSystemTask(String title, String description, Int32 priority, String actionTitle, String actionUrl, String service, String systemId)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebApplication.Provision()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebServiceInstance.Provision()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm.Join()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ConfigurationDatabaseTask.CreateOrConnectConfigDb()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ConfigurationDatabaseTask.Run()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">104</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-03-20T09:39:50.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>2769</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>wsgdev2008x64.office.stirlinghealthcare.com</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>Failed to connect to the configuration database.
    An exception of type System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException was thrown.  Additional exception information: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(ServerInfo serverInfo, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, SqlConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(String host, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Int64 timerStart)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.OpenConnection()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.ExecuteNonQuery(SqlCommand command)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPDatabaseSequence.GetVersion(Guid id, Version defaultVersion, SqlSession session, SPDatabaseSequence sequence)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPContentDatabase.ValidateDatabaseSchemaCompatibility()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite.PreinitializeServer(SPRequest request)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.InitializeSPRequest()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.EnsureSPRequest()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.get_Request()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.EnsureListsData(Guid webId, String strListName)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.EnsureListsData(String strListName)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.Undirty()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPBaseCollection.System.Collections.IEnumerable.GetEnumerator()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPAdministrationWebApplication.get_AdministrativeTasks()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPAdministrationWebApplication.EnsureSystemTask(String title, String description, Int32 priority, String actionTitle, String actionUrl, String service, String systemId)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebApplication.Provision()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebServiceInstance.Provision()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm.Join()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ConfigurationDatabaseTask.CreateOrConnectConfigDb()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ConfigurationDatabaseTask.Run()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Things I have tried from the w2k8 box:

Ping the sqlserver : successful
    Create and test an ODBC Named Pipe Connection to the SQL Server : Test Successful
    Turn off the firewall on all servers
    Re-connect server to Domain
    Re-Install features and roles
    Re-Install Sharepoint

What I dont understand is the fact that SQL is already configured to accept Named Pipe connection as demostarted by the existing farm and ODBC connection created.

One thing that bothers me is when I re-intalled sharepoint I got some different error that seem to indicate that the Machine object was trying to connect to the sharepoint DB as DomainName\MachineName, is this normal?

I thought it try and use the name I entered in the sharepoint setup wizard (the same used on the rest of the farm).

I looked at the SQL to check for other domainname\machinename logins and these was only 1 the search server.

After days of tryting and retrying I'm exhausted of ideas. 

The conclusion I can come to is that there is some core networking issue with the 2K8 box or some GPO or firewall is blocking Named pipe Hand shake.

If anyone has other things to check on any of my servers please let me know as I am trying to push w2k8 as the next platform for our sharepoint environment, thus far a non starter.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:23 AM

All replies