Can I open the default browser without opening a page? RRS feed

• Question

• On button click I want to open the default metro browser (usually IE) without opening a new tab/page, just open the browser, If it is already running then just switch to it as it is to it's current state. Is there a way to do that?

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 3:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Ben,

base on my understanding. you want to open the page always in one specific tab/page rather than reopen a new tab/page. I am afraid it depends on client side user browser setting.

Try the following step for IE setting and check if it works:

• go to Tools > Internet Options 
    • click on the Settings button from the Tabs section 
    • go to "Open links from other programs in:" 
    • choose "The current tab or window"
    • click "OK" to close the two dialogs 
    • restart IE

Hope this helps, thanks.

Yanping Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 5:40 AM
  • Hi Ben,

base on my understanding. you want to open the page always in one specific tab/page rather than reopen a new tab/page. I am afraid it depends on client side user browser setting.

Try the following step for IE setting and check if it works:

• go to Tools > Internet Options 
    • click on the Settings button from the Tabs section 
    • go to "Open links from other programs in:" 
    • choose "The current tab or window"
    • click "OK" to close the two dialogs 
    • restart IE

Hope this helps, thanks.

Yanping Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

I am not sure we understand each other, I have a Store app (metro app), On button click I want to open/return to the default browser, no tabs, no pages, no URLs.
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 9:35 AM
  • Ben,

As far as I am aware, there is no way to directly launch an application without either launching a file, or targeting a URI for the application to open. This would apply to Internet Explorer as well.

What are you trying to accomplish by launching IE without directing it to a specific site? Maybe if you describe your goal a bit further we may be able to help with a workaround.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:52 PM
  • Ben,

As far as I am aware, there is no way to directly launch an application without either launching a file, or targeting a URI for the application to open. This would apply to Internet Explorer as well.

What are you trying to accomplish by launching IE without directing it to a specific site? Maybe if you describe your goal a bit further we may be able to help with a workaround.

I created a desktop app that listens to the browser and on URL change it pops a toast message, and on toast click it opens the metro app, and in the metro app I want to add a button to return to the browser.

tl;dr - I just want a button that opens the browser as is.

Anyways, here is an answer I got on StackOverflow, it's good for IE Metro but not for Chrome Metro:

This is just something to try, and may or may not work in your scenario

If you know the url that is open in the browser, your Windows Store app could launch that same url with the launcher.

In my app, when I launch the same url multiple times, IE will pop up but will not load a second instance of the url.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:26 AM