Service with Bookmarks...? RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone explain to me how a WF4 service implementation works with bookmarks?

Right now in my asp.net app I Start a WorkFlow App linked to the main thread so I know when it completes and I can refresh my page...

What I would LOVE to do is fire my data into the service, and have it respond BACK with errors, or messages, then create a bookmark and send back a message to the client which will let me know all is okay and I can refresh the form.

Am I barking up the wrong tree, or is that possible?

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:17 AM

Answers

• OK, so you're really persisting and waiting for a later response. Yes, bookmarks sound right for that - either bookmarks created manually, or implicit ones - like the invisible bookmarks inside of Receive activities... When you said service I guess you are talking about sending messages to a WF/WCF declarative service?

Tim

• Marked as answer by Andrew_Zhu Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:31 AM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:39 AM

All replies

• To me it sounds like you just want to run the workflow asynchronously, and when it finishes the page handle the result. I.e. the page is waiting for events from the workflow.

If I am understanding that right, then you might not need bookmarks to do this - you should only need bookmarks if the workflow has to receive events, i.e. events flow in the opposite direction to above.

Tim

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:05 AM
  • Actually i need it to run synchronously...I have a modal window popup which allows the user to enter data, and if success i need to close it and refresh the parent page... So the workflow once the above completes needs to persist with some bookmarks....has a whole approval flow that needs to happen....
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:48 AM
  • OK, so you're really persisting and waiting for a later response. Yes, bookmarks sound right for that - either bookmarks created manually, or implicit ones - like the invisible bookmarks inside of Receive activities... When you said service I guess you are talking about sending messages to a WF/WCF declarative service?

Tim

• Marked as answer by Andrew_Zhu Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:31 AM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:39 AM