none
data table help pls! RRS feed

• Question

•  

hello, i'm having a little problem using datatables, i have never use one before, so i really don't have a idea in what im doing wrong, i'll really apreciate some help.

so this is what i need to do:

i need to make a query to a mysql server in c# im using mysqlconector, and i'm fine wiht the conections and with the queries, but now that im trying to put the info into a data table i get an error that says, the the reference for the object it's not established as a instance of the object.

here is the code:

Code Snippet

public Form1()

{

gridCarga();

InitializeComponent();

}

private void gridCarga()

{

try

{

MySqlConnection con = new MySqlConnection("Database=labuena;Data Source=localhost;User Id=root;Password=****");

con.Open();

string selection = "select * from dnincide";

MySqlCommand cmd = con.CreateCommand();

cmd.CommandText = selection;

MySqlDataAdapter da = new MySqlDataAdapter();

da.SelectCommand = cmd;

DataSet ds = new DataSet();

da.Fill(ds, "dnincide");

DataTable dt = ds.Tables["dnincide"];

label1.Text = dt.Rows[1].ToString();

con.Close();

}

catch (MySqlException ex)

{

MessageBox.Show("Error en la tabla de incidencias" + ex, "Error", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error);

}

catch (NullReferenceException e)

{

MessageBox.Show("No hay datos en la tabla DNINCIDE : "+e.Message, "Error", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error);

}

i have also try something more simple like only:

Code Snippet

try

{

MySqlConnection con = new MySqlConnection("Database=labuena;Data Source=localhost;User Id=root;Password=****");

con.Open();

MySqlCommand cmd = new MySqlCommand("SELECT * FROM dnincide", con);

MySqlDataAdapter da = new MySqlDataAdapter(cmd);

DataSet ds = new DataSet();

da.Fill(ds);

con.Close();

}

catch (MySqlException ex)

{

MessageBox.Show("Error en la tabla de incidencias" + ex, "Error", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error);

}

catch (NullReferenceException e)

{

MessageBox.Show("No hay datos en la tabla DNINCIDE : " + e.Message, "Error", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error);

}

but i keep getting nullreferenceExceptions each time i run my aplication, where is mi wrong?, 'cause i have read a lot and every where says the same way to do it, and its not working for me Tongue Tied, i'll really apreciate any help, or a source from where i can read how to do it or something to keep goin.

tnks Big Smile

Farewell...

Monday, September 24, 2007 9:33 PM

All replies

• Which line does it throw the exception on? Run it in the debugger and check each of the objects to see if they are null. I suspect the problem will exist on the da.fill() .

Monday, September 24, 2007 9:44 PM
  • does SELECT * FROM dnincide return any rows?

dt.Rows[1].ToString() -- This assumes that the datatable has at least 2 rows in it, you can be getting the null acception because there isnt any data at the second postion in the row set (remember C# deals with arrays with a 0 index, so Rows[1] is really the second item in the array)

If you still have issues, I suggest using DataSets and TableAdapters and having Visual Studio (hopefully 2005) generate the classes for you.  This way you will have a data object as well as a collection of objects.  From there you can jsut do

label1.text = MyObject.Name;

here is a link that will explain TableAdapters

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bz9tthwx(VS.80).aspx

Monday, September 24, 2007 9:45 PM