none
SQL server 2012 activation

Question

• Dear all, 

I'm stuck with a SQL server 2012 licence activation after trial period expiration (test server). I have three different resolution track :

1- My company bought a SQL server 2014 licence but it seems that downgrade rights are not included for SQL2012 and we can't upgrade the DB to 2014 version also.

2- We purchased this week another SQL 2012 licence but, we figured out that no keys are provided but instead an .iso which includes the key in itself. I would like to activate the test server SQL instance with it but I don't know how to proceed as the instance is already installed. Should I do a repair ?

3- another probable solution,  we have a third licence, I mean a key, for SQL server 2012 but it is already used on another instance (production server). What would happen to the production server instance if I try to use it on the the test server. Will it be deactivated on prod server ?

Just to say, migrate to SQLEXPRESS is not possible.

I would be so glad and grateful if someone could help on that.

thank you.

Saturday, December 3, 2016 1:16 PM

Answers

• I finally found the solution...  the License we bought for SQL 2012 from MVLS microsoft which includes the key in itself made it. I downloaded the iso, hit the setup.exe, went to Maintenance and made a version update. The key was displayed in th specific field and I just had to wait till activation.

DONE !

• Marked as answer by Edha Monday, December 5, 2016 8:54 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2016 8:53 AM

All replies

• You may want to double-check with your local Microsoft representative, but I am under the impression that as long as you have the papers for a license, you can install from what ever media you find.

SQL Server is not like Windows or Office where you need to activate and risk losing access if it is deactivated.

Just make sure that you install an edition matching the license you bought.

Saturday, December 3, 2016 5:07 PM
  • I finally found the solution...  the License we bought for SQL 2012 from MVLS microsoft which includes the key in itself made it. I downloaded the iso, hit the setup.exe, went to Maintenance and made a version update. The key was displayed in th specific field and I just had to wait till activation.

DONE !

• Marked as answer by Edha Monday, December 5, 2016 8:54 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2016 8:53 AM