Announcing the Release of Small Basic 1.1 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Please check out this blog post:

You'll find the download options for 1.1, the list of new updates and changes, and also the differences that show whether you should download 1.0 or 1.1.

Leave a comment on that blog post to let us know what you think! It's not a huge release, but it's an important release. 

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Saturday, March 28, 2015 6:16 AM

All replies

• I couldn't install Small Basic v1.1.

Following error occurs:

Screen shot of an error while attempting to create a directory

while creating shortcuts:

Screen shot of a dialog for Creating shortcuts

Nonki Takahashi

Saturday, March 28, 2015 8:15 AM
  • Installed OK on win7.

1st install attempt instructed me to uninstall v1.0 first. No problem.

Thanks for V1.1. SB is good, great intro programming.

Saturday, March 28, 2015 8:45 AM
  • I could install Small Basic v1.1 on mini-Mac (Windows 8.1 / Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac / Mac OS X Yosemite)!

But I couldn't on LIFEBOOK (Windows 8.1 J).  I will check related folders in LIFEBOOK.

Thanks.

Nonki Takahashi

Saturday, March 28, 2015 9:05 AM
  • Result.Win 7 ...Ok    works fine.

Win 8.1  ... NG  Failed to launch the program.

* Now win8.1 ...OK.    deleted  all files in the smallbasic folder, and then re installed.

Saturday, March 28, 2015 9:59 AM
    Answerer
  • I found the reason because C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft permission is denied for SYSTEM.  So I changed the setting to allow to access this folder for the SYSTEM.  Then I could install Small Basic v1.1 to LIFEBOOK (Windows 8.1 J).

Nonki Takahashi

Saturday, March 28, 2015 12:29 PM
  • Works great for me on Windows 8.1 - nice to see it!
    Saturday, March 28, 2015 2:09 PM
  • Install without problem on a French Win 8.1. Just require to uninstall the version 1.0.

Yan Grenier

Merci de bien vouloir "Marquer comme réponse", les réponses qui ont répondues à votre question, et de noter les réponses que vous avez trouvé utiles.

Saturday, March 28, 2015 2:40 PM
    Answerer
  • Yan, Nonki, Jibba Jabba, and NaochanON, these are very helpful notes!

I updated the System Requirements and added the Installation Instructions. These changes are also in the Release Notes:

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Saturday, March 28, 2015 10:19 PM
  • I confirmed that Flickr object works in Small Basic v1.1.  Great!
    Program ID PWW374 (runs in desktop)

Screen shot of a program Flickr Sample

Nonki Takahashi

Saturday, March 28, 2015 11:32 PM
  • This is Great! Will the exe files compiled with 1.1 run on XP?

It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.'" Romans 14:11

Sunday, March 29, 2015 3:13 AM
    Answerer
  • No since the .exe are compiled with the .Net Framework 4.5, they don't run on XP.

Yan Grenier

Merci de bien vouloir "Marquer comme réponse", les réponses qui ont répondues à votre question, et de noter les réponses que vous avez trouvé utiles.

Sunday, March 29, 2015 7:22 AM
    Answerer
  • This is Great! Will the exe files compiled with 1.1 run on XP?

It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.'" Romans 14:11

The current intention is that we would continue fixing bugs in future versions and might end up also releasing an SP for v1.0 that includes the bug fixes. But we're not sure of the current need/value this would bring, since it would really only apply to XP users.

Any thoughts on this?

Sunday, March 29, 2015 9:09 AM
  • If someone's interested, following are the differences in installed files from the 2 installlers:

Diffs v1.0 - v1.1:

ComponentModel.dll
    LanguageService.dll
    SB.exe
    SmallBasicCompiler.exe
    SmallBasicLibrary.dll
    SmallBasicLibrary.xml
    StringResources.dll
    ToolFramework.dll

are the updated files (bin. files mod. dated 11. Dec 2014, all other files are equal in 1.0 and 1.1 installer).

Would it work, only to replace the updated binaries from the 1.1 installer. Any idea, has anyone tried ?

Sunday, March 29, 2015 6:16 PM
    Answerer
  • Downloaded and installed without a problem using Windows 8.1 on an aging Lenovo laptop.

Even though this is a little update with a list of bug fixes, it still represents something huge. The code base isn't dead, and there is still hope of SmallBasic keeping up with the times.

Three questions:

1. Can you share a list of bug fixes or updates that took place?
    2. Will the fixes and changes be reflected in the Silverlight interpreter?
    3. And... drum roll. Will there be a feature update any time in the foreseeable future?

Sunday, March 29, 2015 7:18 PM
    Answerer
  • If someone's interested, following are the differences in installed files from the 2 installlers:

Diffs v1.0 - v1.1:

ComponentModel.dll
    LanguageService.dll
    SB.exe
    SmallBasicCompiler.exe
    SmallBasicLibrary.dll
    SmallBasicLibrary.xml
    StringResources.dll
    ToolFramework.dll

are the updated files (bin. files mod. dated 11. Dec 2014, all other files are equal in 1.0 and 1.1 installer).

Would it work, only to replace the updated binaries from the 1.1 installer. Any idea, has anyone tried ?

I don't think anyone has tried. It would be an interesting experiment.

Thanks!

Monday, March 30, 2015 12:27 AM
  • Downloaded and installed without a problem using Windows 8.1 on an aging Lenovo laptop.

Even though this is a little update with a list of bug fixes, it still represents something huge. The code base isn't dead, and there is still hope of SmallBasic keeping up with the times.

Three questions:

1. Can you share a list of bug fixes or updates that took place?
    2. Will the fixes and changes be reflected in the Silverlight interpreter?
    3. And... drum roll. Will there be a feature update any time in the foreseeable future?

#1 - We already did: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/smallbasic/archive/2015/03/27/small-basic-1-1-is-here.aspx

Just the one bug fix (Flickr) and the two updates (.NET Framework 4.5 & direct language downloads). Not a major update, but it is an important one.

#2 - Should be, yes.

#3 - Yes, but no ETA, as this is a side project (always has been). We're collecting bug info here as we fix bugs (so you can see what's currently planned for V-Next, currently dubbed v1.2):

And called out here:

Thanks!

Monday, March 30, 2015 12:40 AM
  • OzJerry ran into this scenario:

• I installed it on two Win8.1 machines which previously had SB1.0.  And then on two Win 10 machines, one of which previously had SB1.0 and the other was a new install.  On the new install it prompted me to install .Net Framework 3.5 and wouldn't complete without it...does this sound right?

Has anyone else experienced this (asking 1.1 to install .NET Framework 3.5)? Is this just a typo in the UI where it means 4.5? Thanks!

Monday, March 30, 2015 12:44 AM
  • I found the reason because C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft permission is denied for SYSTEM.  So I changed the setting to allow to access this folder for the SYSTEM.  Then I could install Small Basic v1.1 to LIFEBOOK (Windows 8.1 J).

Nonki Takahashi

When Chrome was infected with adware, I might set to deny access to C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming ...  I think so.

Nonki Takahashi

Monday, March 30, 2015 6:29 AM
  • OzJerry ran into this scenario.

Ed, I think it was a system message rather than part of the installer.  It specifically mentioned .Net 3.5 SP1.  I was wondering if it might be a component of the IDE that was still using 3.5.

I'll create a new Virtual Machine with a clean Windows 10 installation so that I can recreate it and capture a screenshot.

Monday, March 30, 2015 8:39 AM
  • This is the view I see when trying to install:

It won't go any further.  Clicking OK at this point and then gives me the following:

However, if I install .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 then the installation completes.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I didn't complete the .Net 3.5 installation on this VM.  So currently have two Win 10 VM's, one with .Net 3.5 and SB 1.1 and one completely clean.  So I can try out anything if needed.
    • Edited by OzJerry Monday, March 30, 2015 9:32 AM
    Monday, March 30, 2015 9:29 AM

Nonki Takahashi

When Chrome was infected with adware, I might set to deny access to C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming ...  I think so.

Nonki Takahashi

So this was a browser issue, not OS?

Monday, March 30, 2015 9:45 PM
  • OzJerry,

Hmm. I wonder if it's a typo in the UI and means .NET 4.5 instead. Is that possible?

Let's get some more eyes on this. Thanks!

Monday, March 30, 2015 9:47 PM
  • Ed,

If it was just a typo in the UI I would not have expected it to halt the installation?  It would not install until I downloaded and installed .Net Framework 3.5SP1, so am assuming that it's either needed or there is a 'switch' in the installed that looks for it.

I'll try disabling .Net FW 3.5 after installation and see if SB1.1 still works.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 2:34 AM
  • Ed,

If it was just a typo in the UI I would not have expected it to halt the installation?  It would not install until I downloaded and installed .Net Framework 3.5SP1, so am assuming that it's either needed or there is a 'switch' in the installed that looks for it.

I'll try disabling .Net FW 3.5 after installation and see if SB1.1 still works.

Well, I think the concept is (not saying this is what's happening, but this is the scenario I'm curious about)...

1. It looks to see if you have 4.5 installed, since that's a requirement.

2. It prompts you to install 3.5, because the old UI text wasn't updated.

3. You install 3.5. It really wanted you to install 4.5.

4. It runs SB v1.1 fine, since it runs SB v1.0 fine on 3.5.

5. But if you're running 3.5 when you should run 4.5, as we add features that depend on 4.5, it will break Small Basic without giving you a good reason why.

If that's the case, we can change the UI text in a few spots and do a little write up of how to avoid this scenario.

But, I don't know if that's what's happening.

Thanks!

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 6:23 AM
  • So this is the scenario I have with Windows 10 Build 10041:

1. Initiated install of SB1.1.  Install halted saying it needed .Net 3.5 and would not complete.

2. Installed .Net 3.5.

3. Re-initiated install of 3.5, which now completes and SB1.1 runs.

4. Uninstalled .Net 3.5 via Windows Features.

5. Tested SB1.1 and it still runs and compiles fine.

6. Uninstalled SB1.1.

7. Tried to re-install SB1.1, but again failed saying it needs .Net 3.5.

8 Re-enabled .Net 3.5 via Windows Features.

9. SB 1.1 installed successfully.

So it definitely looks as if it's the installer which is looking for .net 3.5 and  blocking the installation if it can't find it.  Once installed, SB1.1 is running on 4.5 and has no requirement for 3.5.

I hope that helps with the troubleshooting process.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 8:27 AM
  • I confirm after tests on fresh french Vista Premium 32, Vista Pro 32, Windows 7 Premium 32/64, Windows 7 Pro 32/64 installations (I didn't have the time for Win8.1 tests).

The installer required Framework .Net 3.5.

Another small issue, on the Windows 7 .Net 3.5 is installed by default, so I tried to install Small Basic (without .Net 4.5 installed) the installation is OK, but when I run Small Basic, it required .Net 4.0.

Then I tried to install only .Net 4.0 :) And after installation when I run Small Basic, the application crash whithout message.

So first I think the installer have a bad parameter in the requirement before installation, it's always on .Net 3.5 SP1, not 4.5. Second, I don't know why the application tell me 4.0 is required, but if one person don't follow the installation instruction, he get a bad message, and install only 4.0 as display don't work correctly.

Yanos

Yan Grenier

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 11:36 AM
    Answerer
  • This is helpful. We'll dig more on these scenarios. Thanks!

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 10:40 PM
  • Okay, it looks like the Installer requires .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 while the program requires 4.5. =^)

So we'll get that fixed. 

Thanks, everyone!

Saturday, April 4, 2015 1:19 AM
  • There was an issue on multiple account systems. Doing a straight install from a manager account would not set up SmallBasic successfully on other accounts. I was required to do an install via a batch file with this command:

msiexec /jm C:\InstallFiles\SmallBasic.msi

This made it impossible to do remote setup on the lab computers and I thus have to install small basic manually on each computer one at a time. Since the installer has to be revamped anyway, you may wish to look into this issue.

Sunday, April 5, 2015 7:05 PM
    Answerer
  • I wrote a TechNet Wiki article:

Microsoft Small Basic v1.1: Known Issues

Nonki Takahashi

Monday, April 6, 2015 12:11 PM
  • Just wanted to thank those involved in the update.

I enjoy the "simplicity" of Small Basic particularly since I am a retired mainframe assembler programmer.

To me from an educational standpoint, learning to program is more about developing logical thinking and developing problem solving skills than it is the language or the object orientation etc.

Small basic certainly allows the novice to pick up the language and syntax quickly but also provides a platform for building some interesting feature rich programs or games.

Thursday, April 9, 2015 2:47 AM
  • BUG FIX REQUEST

I have a small bug fix request, that should be an easy to implement: Can the standard font set be added to the Silverlight interpreter?

Nothing fancy, just the dozen or so fonts that come pre-installed with windows. Even in simplistic programs I find that I change fonts a lot due to the small default font size, and the need to switch between mono-spaced and proportional fonts.

PLEEEZZZE!!

:-)

Thursday, April 9, 2015 4:12 PM
    Answerer
  • There was an issue on multiple account systems. Doing a straight install from a manager account would not set up SmallBasic successfully on other accounts. I was required to do an install via a batch file with this command:

msiexec /jm C:\InstallFiles\SmallBasic.msi

This made it impossible to do remote setup on the lab computers and I thus have to install small basic manually on each computer one at a time. Since the installer has to be revamped anyway, you may wish to look into this issue.

Great scenario! I'm checking into the history on this. Thanks!

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 7:23 PM
  • Just wanted to thank those involved in the update.

I enjoy the "simplicity" of Small Basic particularly since I am a retired mainframe assembler programmer.

To me from an educational standpoint, learning to program is more about developing logical thinking and developing problem solving skills than it is the language or the object orientation etc.

Small basic certainly allows the novice to pick up the language and syntax quickly but also provides a platform for building some interesting feature rich programs or games.

Thank you, jswlhw! We appreciate it!

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 7:44 PM
  • BUG FIX REQUEST

I have a small bug fix request, that should be an easy to implement: Can the standard font set be added to the Silverlight interpreter?

Nothing fancy, just the dozen or so fonts that come pre-installed with windows. Even in simplistic programs I find that I change fonts a lot due to the small default font size, and the need to switch between mono-spaced and proportional fonts.

PLEEEZZZE!!

:-)

Coding Cat, what would this do? Add fonts to the web "gallery" of the program?

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 7:46 PM
  • Hmmm... as far as implementation goes, I couldn't say. I am not really familiar with silverlight.

Small basic allows you to easily change the font name with the command:

GraphicsWindow.FontName = "fontame"

And if the font is installed in windows, Smallbasic grabs and uses it. I am simply suggesting a similar implementation for the silverlight interpreter. I have had to gut a couple of recent examples because afont (a windows standard font) was not available and smallbasic fell back to its default font.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 7:54 PM
    Answerer
  • Hmmm... as far as implementation goes, I couldn't say. I am not really familiar with silverlight.

Small basic allows you to easily change the font name with the command:

GraphicsWindow.FontName = "fontame"

And if the font is installed in windows, Smallbasic grabs and uses it. I am simply suggesting a similar implementation for the silverlight interpreter. I have had to gut a couple of recent examples because afont (a windows standard font) was not available and smallbasic fell back to its default font.

So when you publish to Web, your font will likely change?

Friday, April 24, 2015 7:46 PM
  • Can you add multiple timers to 1.1, Ed? :OOO

• Edited by Dinomite07 Friday, April 24, 2015 11:48 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2015 11:21 PM
  • was not available and smallbasic fell back to its default font.

Yes. If you compare the imported versions of Meteor Shower with the silverlight version you will see that none of the text is quite right in silverlight.

The reason being that the fonts that I choose, common window default ones like Tahoma and Courier New, where not found. Now I can imagine that any kind of embedded font system would be way over the top for either the implementation side in SmallBasic and the support side in silverlight. However, I am also imagining that making the standard windows fonts available on the silverlight server would be a pretty straight forward process to implement. 

Emphasis on "imagine".  :-)

Saturday, April 25, 2015 12:43 AM
    Answerer
  • was not available and smallbasic fell back to its default font.

Yes. If you compare the imported versions of Meteor Shower with the silverlight version you will see that none of the text is quite right in silverlight.

The reason being that the fonts that I choose, common window default ones like Tahoma and Courier New, where not found. Now I can imagine that any kind of embedded font system would be way over the top for either the implementation side in SmallBasic and the support side in silverlight. However, I am also imagining that making the standard windows fonts available on the silverlight server would be a pretty straight forward process to implement. 

Emphasis on "imagine".  :-)

Does #7 here cover it...?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16042.small-basic-difference-between-local-and-remote.aspx

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 12:13 AM
  • Can you add multiple timers to 1.1, Ed? :OOO

The short/direct answer is no. I'm mostly a PM, writer, and designer. But we can add it to our backlog. What's the scenario and use case for multiple timers?

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 12:15 AM
  • The Timer seems to be the as in v1.0

So you can use it to create some multi background threads e.g. downloads and background music.

Here's a sample with a simple One Second tick that's processed in the ui thread.

CQB099

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 1:03 AM
  • The Timer seems to be the as in v1.0

So you can use it to create some multi background threads e.g. downloads and background music.

Here's a sample with a simple One Second tick that's processed in the ui thread.

CQB099

So what's the request from Dinomite about multiple timers?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sunday, May 3, 2015 9:35 PM
  • Small Basic has just one timer which fires an event at a regular time intervals.  There have been extensions to allow more than one of these timers operating at different intervals.

I would suggest this is:

1. either a simple and good use for extensions, or
    2. careful coding can use a single timer operating at a short interval to simulate multiple timers

e.g. if you want timers with 20, 50 ms and 1 min, then you can set a timer at 10ms interval and use every 2nd, 5th and 6000th tick respectively for your 3 timers.

• Edited by litdev Sunday, May 3, 2015 9:48 PM
    Sunday, May 3, 2015 9:47 PM