Exchange CSP Registry Key Breaks Certificate Request RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Sorry I'm not an app developer but this looks the place I'm most likely to get someone who can shed light on this...!

I've a number of PCs that are unable to renew certificates or request new ones.  If I try manually I get a "You must have at least one cryptographic service provider installed to perform this action" error.  ProcMon.exe shows svchost trying to read the Type value under the key "Microsoft Exchange Cyptographic Provider v1.0" and not finding it there.  On the PCs in question, there is merely a "Signature" value present but nothing else.  If I delete the entire key then I can request certificates again!

Most normal, working PCs I've looked at either don't have the key at all or have it with only the values "Type"=REG_DWORD:5 and "Image Path"=REG_SZ:"C:\Progra~1\Micros~2\Office11\exchcsp.dll" but not the Signature value.  The PCs are all XP Pro and have Office 2003 on.

Any ideas what's going on?

I'm half-tempted to check this registry key on all machines and if it has the key but no Type value, delete it entirely.  I don't like doing this sort of thing though when I don't know what the impact may be.  We're not and never have been an MS Exchange environment.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sunday, December 30, 2012 1:22 PM