none
Outlook Add-ons (plugins) in the 365 world RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure if this is the right forum for my question but I'll give it a try...
    My company creates creative add-ons (plugins) for outlook 2010/2013.
    I'm trying to plan the future of my company and I'm wondering how is the office 365 environment with regards to add-ons...
    Will Microsoft enable developers to enrich its office environment in the 365 cloud by providing interfaces  ?
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 5:59 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Workmail,

Please take a look at the similar forum thread - Outlook Add-ons in the 365 world . It states:

For Office 2013, Office 365 subscriptions for Office (not for Exchange or other server products) can run COM addins. Earlier versions do not run addins.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:00 AM
  • Ow...that's me in the other thread :)
    I didn't realize it's the same forum...
    Anyway...I wonder why I don't get an answer to such a simple and fundamental question ...
    Is this a political business issue ?
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:07 AM
  • This forum is for developers (not MS marketing staff). That is why you don't get definitive answers.  
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:15 AM
  • OK, I will post it in a more marketing oriented forum as well but on the pure technical level, can plugins be ported to the 365 world ?
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:17 AM
  • The Outlook addin for office365 thread states:

The version of Office associated with Office365 is the standard Office Pro, and that does support add-ins just as any other SKU of Office Pro does.

Also I have found on the Confused about Office 2013 and Office 365 shared add-ins support thread:

Be aware, there are versions of Office 2013 that don't support the old interfaces: the "web apps" that run on SharePoint and the Windows RT (tablet) version. But all the other ones should...

I.e. Office 365 is just a web representation of your Office 2013.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:27 AM
  • Thanks Eugene. Your link was very helpful.
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:36 AM