none
Autocomplete in Ribbon? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In one my ribbon group, I need to use a Textbox which should have Autocomplete (suggestions when user types) functionality ON. Can you please let me know whether this is possible or not? Or kindly suggest the correct approach to do this.

Many thanks in Advance!

Thanks, Atit Shah
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:55 PM

Answers

• Sorry for the mistake. Yes, I should have used 'EditBox'.

I think a normal Windows.Forms.Form will not do because of the specific conditions in which it must be shown. Note also the necessity to control the focus and keybord presses. It may occur that some things will be impossible to implement. Nevertheless, the final result depends on your actual requirements and what the Ribbon implementation allows you to do.

Another danger: they may change something in the Ribbon implementation and the construct above may stop working after you install an update.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 2),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:50 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The Ribbon API doesn't support this.

But you can try to use the window containing the text. I know for sure that this window exists when you enter anything into a Ribbon text box; use Spy++ to find it. I suppose it is possible to use Win32 API to modify that text and to provide other UI and functionality related to AutoComplete.

Also, you can check Active Accessibility. The starting point is here. But I cannot tell you if it is possible to achieve your goal in this route: I've never used Accessibility.

Andrei Smolin
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:33 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

If I understand correctly, we may not be able to use Textbox in Ribbons but we can use 'Editbox' in place of that.

I am not sure whether developing in normal Windows form will act similarlly for Ribbons??

Thanks, Atit Shah
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:06 PM
  • Sorry for the mistake. Yes, I should have used 'EditBox'.

I think a normal Windows.Forms.Form will not do because of the specific conditions in which it must be shown. Note also the necessity to control the focus and keybord presses. It may occur that some things will be impossible to implement. Nevertheless, the final result depends on your actual requirements and what the Ribbon implementation allows you to do.

Another danger: they may change something in the Ribbon implementation and the construct above may stop working after you install an update.

Andrei Smolin
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:50 PM
  • Thanks a lot Andrei, I will check this out...
    Thanks, Atit Shah
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 6:45 PM