ASP.NET 2.0 CSS Friendly Control Adapters install error RRS feed

• Question

• User-2051410095 posted

I have added a reference to the CSSFriendly.dll and added the CSSFriendlyAdapters.browser file to my App_Browsers folder yet I keep getting the error shown below. I also noticed that if I delete the CSSFriendlyAdapters.browser file and try adding a new browser file (using the add new item feature) even the default browser file created by VS 2008 causes the same error.  I am relatively new to .NET so I don't know where to begin.  Is there something I need to add to my web.config to enable browser files?  Please help.

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.

Source Error:

Line 1:  <browsers>
    Line 2:    <browser refID="Default">
    Line 3:      <controlAdapters>

Source File: /PalTech/App_Browsers/CSSFriendlyAdapters.browser    Line: 1

Thanks in advance

Monday, September 8, 2008 8:27 AM

All replies

• User-1385398420 posted

Is the PalTech directory configured as an application directory and configured to use ASP.Net 2.0?

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 3:44 PM
  • User-2051410095 posted
    Yes it is.
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:10 AM
  • User-1385398420 posted

Can you post your entire file, or make it available for browsing/download from the web? It's likely some XML error.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 8:05 AM
  • User-2051410095 posted

All I did was download and install the browser file from here.

http://www.codeplex.com/cssfriendly/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=2159

I tried it with out any mods and I tried it by striping out all but the menu stuff. 

I get this exact same error when all I do is add a new browser file by right clicking the App_Browser folder an chosing add new item and selecting browser file and leaving the content that VS 2008 loads by default.

Thats why I was wondering if I am supposed to add something tomy web.config or machine.config fie to use browser files. 

Mark

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:20 PM
  • User-1385398420 posted

There's nothing in the web.config or machine.config needed to support .browser files.

Can you check that the director or project is running .Net 2.0 or higher?

Also have you created a new, blank browsers file (from VS2008) and then manually typing the information into it?

Yes, this is kind of grabbing at straws, but something is either wrong with the file or the web service/directory setup, and it's hard to figure out without finding out what works and what doesn't.

Sunday, September 28, 2008 9:03 PM
  • User-1332640901 posted

I have the exact same problem, running a simple website on an IIS6 server. For the sake of testing, Throwing in the bare minimal, and the results are as follows:

[URL=http://img95.imageshack.us/my.php?image=testce0.jpg][IMG]http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/3555/testce0.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

How can it be that IIS6 doesn't understand the .browser file? This problem is making me nuts!

As soon as I run the same project on the VS2008 built-in server, no problems!

Friday, October 10, 2008 4:04 AM
  • User-1385398420 posted

Have you tried running aspnet_regiis with the appropriate switches to re-register the .Net Framework with IIS?

Also -- can you confirm that the application directory is configured to run the .Net Framework 2.0?

Friday, October 10, 2008 2:36 PM
  • User-2051410095 posted

Yes, that is exactly what is happening to me.  If I install any browser file even a bare bones one I get that same error every time.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 7:00 AM
  • User-2051410095 posted

I appreciate your help on this.  Everything else I utilize on the 2.0 framework works. I have even used some of the new controls in the 3.0 and 3.5 framework with no issues.  So I would think it was installed corretly but who knows I have seen funnier things happen. So far I have only been trying this on my development server so this morning I added the new default BrowserFile.browser thru VS2008 to my development website and sure enough the error came back.  I then migrated this browser file to my Test server version and the web worked fine with no errors.  So this leads me to believe it has something to do with the server setup/configuration of my development server not my project.  Then I tried the following and I am still getting the same error.

1. Reran aspnet_regiis -i  -- Still had error

2. Ran aspnet_regiis -u

3. Reran aspnet_regiis -i  -- Still had error

4. Ranaspnet_regiis -r  -- Still had error

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Mark

Monday, October 13, 2008 7:35 AM
  • User-2051410095 posted

I got it working.  I believe the cause was .Net Framework 3.5 SP1  which also installs 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 as part of its install.  When we installed the 3.5 SP1 on our Test box it broke a version of Sharepoint Services we had running on that server, after much troubleshooting and no luck we uninstalled 3.5 SP1 and our Sharepoint started working again.  So this morning I uninstalled 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, and 3.5 SP1 from ourt Development box  and reinstalled 2.0 SP1, 3.0 SP1, and 3.5 but not 3.5 SP1 and my application no longer blows up on the .browser files.

Thanks for all the help

Monday, October 13, 2008 9:26 AM
  • User-1332640901 posted

I agree that 3.5SP1 causes the problem, as reinstalling everything but 3.5SP1 does seem to fix the problem. However, I would like to use the Entity Framework in the future, so WHY does SP1 break the cssfriendly support?

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 7:58 AM
  • User377889045 posted

Just ran into this problem on GoDaddy. Tried deleting file and folder through IDE interface and it didn't work. Tried calling GD tech support and that was useless, said I had some kind of script error and they don't help with those (even though I told them it stopped working with no changes made to the application). In desperation tried deleting folder and file and then uploading through GD interface and that did the trick.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 10:05 PM