Problem with purely virtual method in abstract class in Metro style Windows Runtime Component

Question

• Hi,

When developing a Windows Runtime Component in Visual Studio 2012 RC (penultimate template under new  project | Templates | Visual C++ | Windows Metro Style), using a Xaml client, based on the 'Blank App (XAML) template I get the following error:

error C2253: 'CppWindowsRuntimeComponent::AbstractBase::GetHelloWorld' : pure specifier or abstract override specifier only allowed on virtual function (MainPage.xaml.cpp)

The following code generates the error, when consumed in the client:

Component code

Consumption of the component in MainPage.cpp is as follows (after having referenced the component):

Client code

Can anyone please tell me what's wrong? I don't seem to get past this one.

Regards,

Marc.

Monday, June 11, 2012 7:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Marc,

According to the language architect, a public abstract class isn't a valid WinRT concept. This will be reflected in a compiler error message in the next public release of the C++/CX compiler. In other words, your WinRT component will fail to build. The interface is the way to go here if this type must be public.

• Marked as answer by OlManMarc Saturday, June 16, 2012 6:53 AM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 11:05 PM

All replies

• I can't reproduce the error, I get a clean compile with your code under 2012 RC

Can you add the /Bv compiler switch in the "command line", "additional options" and post the versions emitted in the output window under compiler passes?

Monday, June 11, 2012 10:08 PM
  • Hi Steve,

As requested, I rebuild the solution with the compiler switch in the client project (the component project builds fine). Here's the build log output:

Build log output

Hopefully this is meaningful to you.

I am, of course interested to learn how you got the code to compile.

Regards,

Marc.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:56 PM
  • Ok, those versions look fine.

I didn't read closely and pull out that this requires two projects. After separating into a component project and a Blank Xaml consumer, I can reproduce this. My non-repro was all in one project, relying on header includes instead of winmd imports

You can workaround by converting your abstract class to an interface

//abstractbase.h

public interface class IAbstractBase { String^ GetHelloWorld(); };

// class1.h
    public ref class Class1 sealed : public IAbstractBase
    {
    public:
       Class1(void);
       virtual String^ GetHelloWorld();
    };

Though it seems your code should work. I've pinged some folks to confirm if this is a bug.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:34 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Thank you for your workaround. Good to have this option.

Please do post some text covering the reactions of the people you pinged. If this is not a bug, then what is the intended practice?

Regards,

Marc. 

Friday, June 15, 2012 6:44 AM
  • Hi Marc,

According to the language architect, a public abstract class isn't a valid WinRT concept. This will be reflected in a compiler error message in the next public release of the C++/CX compiler. In other words, your WinRT component will fail to build. The interface is the way to go here if this type must be public.

• Marked as answer by OlManMarc Saturday, June 16, 2012 6:53 AM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 11:05 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks you for clearing this up. I now know what to do.

Regards,

Marc.

Saturday, June 16, 2012 6:53 AM