How to use WADL file as a web service? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1931873947 posted

Hi everybody,

I need to add a webservice from a third party service to my own website. To use the services of that company I have just a url that shows me the WADL xml file of their service so I don't have any other resource of their webservices that I can use their defined classes in my website. I am really new in this and I need to learn How can I connect to their services just according to that WADL file step by step?

Monday, March 11, 2013 10:49 AM

All replies

• User220959680 posted

WADL

It is WSDL (Web Services Description Language) file that describes the functionality offered by the web service.

In order to consume the service below are the steps:-

1. Add Service reference to your web application using Visual Studio:- Adding service reference creates the proxy class(Service contract).

2. Create an instance of service client

3. consume service methods.

Refer consuming the service part of this article http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/42643/Creating-and-Consuming-Your-First-WCF-Service 

//Example:

//1. Add the namespace.  myWebApplication is application name and DataService is the service reference name //given while adding the service reference.
    using myWebApplication.DataService;

//2. Create an instance of service proxy (Contract)
    DataServiceClient client = new DataServiceClient();

//3. Consume service methods
    Client.Open();
    Client.GetData();

Client.Close();

Monday, March 11, 2013 11:14 AM
  • User-1931873947 posted

Hi sukumarraju,

Thanks alot for your response, But it is WADL(Web Application Description Language) file not a WSDL file. If it was a WSDL it was ok for me but now the peroblem is I don't know how I have to use this WADL file to connect to the resource webservice.

Monday, March 11, 2013 11:31 AM
  • User-1662538993 posted

You can use Wadl.exe to create a proxy class from wadl file.

Please check this link -

http://wadl.codeplex.com/

Monday, March 11, 2013 12:09 PM
  • User-1931873947 posted

Hi kushalrdalal, 

Thanks for your reply. I have downloaded wadl.exe but I don't know how I should use it. Do you have any idea?

Monday, March 11, 2013 2:36 PM
  • User-1662538993 posted

Did you see the link i provided?

It has screen shot for how to use it.

If you could not find then go to command prompt and then go to the dir where you have wadl.exe and then try to run help command and it should show you all the commands that you can run.

http://blog.adnanmasood.com/2008/09/23/wadl-web-application-description-language-call-for-contributors-for-open-source-codeplex-project/

Monday, March 11, 2013 2:47 PM
  • User-1931873947 posted

kushalrdalal,

I saw the screenshot and links that you gave me the problem is when I am downloading it, it is a project that wadl.exe is a part of that and when I want to run wadl.exe it gives me error and when I want to execute wadl.exe through command line it gives error again and I don't know what I should do. Can you help me to find my way? because I read the blog of Adnan masood and I couldnt find anything even I researched for it but there is no explanation how I should use that project.

Monday, March 11, 2013 3:01 PM
  • User-1662538993 posted

Did you try directly run that exe like we run any application by double clicking?

What kind of error it gives?

Monday, March 11, 2013 3:10 PM
  • User-1931873947 posted

Oh yes I did and just right opening the command windows something as belw happens:

Monday, March 11, 2013 3:22 PM
  • User-1662538993 posted

Did you try running from the visual studio directly?

Let me try running it and i will update you if i get any success.

Monday, March 11, 2013 5:06 PM
  • User-1931873947 posted

Thanks alot. If you got successful please teach me step by ste what should I do. I will appreciate you too much. I am looking forward your update.

Monday, March 11, 2013 6:21 PM
  • User498664129 posted

Hai 

Can u access the WADL file  sucessfully in your application.

Monday, December 30, 2013 4:22 AM