SQLEx 2K8: Cannot setup a new registered server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am a bit of a newbie to MSSQL so please bare with me. I have installed MSQL Express 2008 with advanced tools on my Win2k3 server so that I can play about with my visual studio. The software on the server such as the backup software and antivirus have added their own servers/databases into the SQL server instance.

I would like to create a new registered server and place my databases under that, however each time I create a new registered server I get no option to turn it on, set it up or even create databases.

This may well be because you can't do this in express or it may be because I am doing something wrong.

1. I open the server management studio but do not log into the existing database servers (anti-virus, backup).
    2. I open up the registered servers tab and under local server groups I create a new registered server.
    3. I give it a name like "server\mydatabase".
    4. The list is updated with my new registered server but I am unable to do anything with it, the service icon is a white circle with no options to start/stop services.

Any help would be great cheers!
    Thanks, Cep
    Friday, June 5, 2009 10:15 AM

Answers

• Hi Cep,

Have you actually installed an instance of SQL Server named myNewDB? (It doesn't read like you have.) If you just type in some random name and click OK, it will show up in the list, but it's not attached to anything, so there is nothing to start. I think you're confused about the purpose of the registered servers pane.

Just connect to the SQLEXPRESS instance from the Object Explorer and you will be able to create as many databases as you like. If you really want another server, you'll need to install another copy of SQL Express before you can use it, but then you'll have two full copies of SQL Express running and taking up memory on your computer, which I don't believe is your intention.

Regards,
    Mike
    If this post answers your question, please mark it as an Answer - it will help others searching the forum. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Cepeleon Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:41 AM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 5:55 AM

All replies

• You can not start/stop/re-start service from client. You have an option in the registered server window, click on Server to be started/stoped -->> right click --> SQL Server config manager -- connect to the server and start/stop

Madhu

MCITP, MCTS, MCDBA,MCP-- Blog : http://experiencing-sql-server-2008.blogspot.com/
    Friday, June 5, 2009 11:27 AM
  • I think your misunderstanding, there is no option, there is no server listed.

I right click the server I have created, select the option SQL Server Configuration Manager, the MMC opens up but there is no server listed under any of tree nodes except the AntiVirus one.

I cannot connect to the server because if I try using the start/stop control its all greyed out.
    Thanks, Cep
    Monday, June 8, 2009 10:52 AM
  • Hello,

If i have well understood your question, you want to create a group for your own databases.
    Your databases are belonging to a SQL Server instance. If the backup and your antivirus have installed their own databases inside this instance, you can't do anything else to install a new instance .
    You will have to detach your own databases from your 1st instances and attach them to the new one.

Maybe Madhu will find a better solution ( i will be glad because i should have learnt something useful ), but for the moment, i don't see another way than to install a new instance ( with a different name )
    A registered server is only an alias to a server ( or instance of SQL Server )

Have a nice day
    Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.
    • Edited by Papy Normand Monday, June 8, 2009 6:02 PM corrected lexicographic error
    Monday, June 8, 2009 6:01 PM
  • I'm not sure I can explain this easily in words so I will just point you to a screenie,

http://www.cepsworld.com/images/mssqlproblem.jpg

If I add a new server under this, as I have done, I cannot do anything with it. As you can see in the context menu the option to start this instance is not available, I would have to place my databases under one of the other two existing instances (in this case the default for 2k8 and 2k5) and this is not what I want to do. I want a separate server instance for each group of databases I want to use.
    Thanks, Cep
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:24 AM
  • Hi Cep,

Have you actually installed an instance of SQL Server named myNewDB? (It doesn't read like you have.) If you just type in some random name and click OK, it will show up in the list, but it's not attached to anything, so there is nothing to start. I think you're confused about the purpose of the registered servers pane.

Just connect to the SQLEXPRESS instance from the Object Explorer and you will be able to create as many databases as you like. If you really want another server, you'll need to install another copy of SQL Express before you can use it, but then you'll have two full copies of SQL Express running and taking up memory on your computer, which I don't believe is your intention.

Regards,
    Mike
    If this post answers your question, please mark it as an Answer - it will help others searching the forum. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Cepeleon Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:41 AM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 5:55 AM
  • Ah, I see, so I am barking up completely the wrong tree. That would make sense, thank you Mike. So what is the purpose the registered servers pane just out of curiosity?

Thanks, Cep
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:41 AM