none
How to perform load testing using visual studio [ 2015 Enterprise ]

Question

• First of all i am new to testing. I want to perform load testing on web api's [ around 70 ]. I am using VS2015 Enterprise that comes with load testing feature but i am not aware how to use.

Steps that i want to perform are:

1) Response time of the service when running a single request.

2) Memory consumption used by the service when running a single request.

3) Maximum number of concurrent requests supported by the service

4) Memory consumption used by the service when running the maximum number of concurrent requests.

5) Response time of the service when running the maximum number of concurrent requests.

6) Maximum number of concurrent requests that can be executed so that the response time is less than 2 seconds.

I have unit test ready for all api's. I found somewhere that i can use it for load testing, Is it true?

Need help....

Friday, May 20, 2016 5:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Narendra-GlobalSysInfo,

Based on your screen shot, it means that your web test doesn't run or it met some issue when send the requests to the server side.

For example, 503 Service Unavailable: The server is currently unavailable (because it is overloaded or down for maintenance).

Like the screen shot 2, during your create the web performance test, you will record the web requests, and then click "A" to run your web test, we would check that whether the web test has any error for every request. If web tests run normally, create and run the load test.

Note:

If you test your local web app source code in your VS, you would run your app in your VS before you create the web test project, if not, it means that the server side was not opened, so the client could send the web request to the server side. 

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 7:28 AM

All replies

We could add unit tests or web performance test to the load test.

The unit test: It is used to test the class methods.

The web tests: Web tests are used to test the functionality of Web applications and to test Web applications under load. Web tests are used both in performance tests and stress tests.

The load tests: When you add Web tests to a load test, you simulate multiple users opening simultaneous connections to a server and making multiple HTTP requests. When you add unit tests to a load test, you exercise the performance of non-Web based server components.

Based on your description, web performance test would be better for you, and then add web performance tests to the load test.

For detailed information about how to create the web performance tests/load tests, see:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/charles_sterling/2015/06/01/load-test-series-part-i-creating-web-performance-tests-for-a-load-test/

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Saturday, May 21, 2016 9:55 AM
  • I go through the given link above, but still not clear. Stucked in the load testing need help. Please can we have skype chat if possible. 

skype id - narendrarathore.globalsysinfo

Monday, May 23, 2016 2:21 AM

Sorry for that we couldn't share you the skype.

Maybe you could refer to this pdf document:

https://vsptqrg.codeplex.com/

It shared us more information about the web performance test and load test.

Like your previous issue, for example, you could create a web test which recorded the request, and then you could add this web test to a simple load test, like the following load test result, we could see the memory or the response time.

If it is not clear, my suggestion is that you could refer to some MSDN documents, you could share us the specific issue one by one after you refer to them for several days, I think you will know more about the tests.

Sincerely,

Jack

Monday, May 23, 2016 6:29 AM
  • Hi Jack,

i tried as per documentation and as you said, but i didn't find the columns that show avg-time, response-time, content-length. Also not every request is stored in webTest, strange.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByvrY1jr-ITAQ05ieGk0ejJWZEU/view?usp=sharing

Monday, May 23, 2016 9:20 AM

Based on your screen shot, it means that your web test doesn't run or it met some issue when send the requests to the server side.

For example, 503 Service Unavailable: The server is currently unavailable (because it is overloaded or down for maintenance).

Like the screen shot 2, during your create the web performance test, you will record the web requests, and then click "A" to run your web test, we would check that whether the web test has any error for every request. If web tests run normally, create and run the load test.

Note:

If you test your local web app source code in your VS, you would run your app in your VS before you create the web test project, if not, it means that the server side was not opened, so the client could send the web request to the server side. 

Best Regards,

Jack

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 7:28 AM
  • Ok, i will try again.

Thanks.

Thursday, June 02, 2016 6:11 AM