How can i stop google chrome, asking visitors to my site website for user name & password RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks

Can anyone help me? I built my website in expression web & and it appears great in all browser except one, google chrome.

When ever users visit my site using google chrome they are asked for a user name & password.

thanks in advance

Simon

Saturday, June 18, 2011 7:13 PM

Answers

• sorry for the late reply I was just looking into the possibility of the dismount of the trans-axle. Here is the link to the website www.mtom.biz

Simon, I'm probably totally off base here, but the only thing I can see in your CSS code that makes me wonder are the following lines:

* Creates the general link style for the site. This is not the main navigation.  *
    a:link {
    color: #666666;
    font-weight: bold;
    list-style-image: url('ftp://ftp.mtom.biz/mtom.biz/htdocs/bullet.png');
    }

What this looks like to me is what a link should look like before it's visited, and I'm wondering why "ftp"? Probably has nothing to do with things, but . . . could you explain it to me?

Nancy Ward
    • Proposed as answer by KathyW2 Sunday, June 19, 2011 4:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ukdragon Sunday, June 19, 2011 9:48 PM
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 4:36 PM

All replies

• No clue and withut seeing your site/page there is no way for anyone to know/help. Post a link to your page on the net and maybe someone can help you.
    Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 7:49 PM
  •  

After some consideration, and given the immense amount of information provided, I m certain that you have reverse-mounted the trans-axle and probably distorted the bimblehousing. This forces Chrome into frammisnatch mode, which, of course, requires authentication.

Post a link to the page, right after you read Forum FAQ and Guidelines - Start Here

cheers,

scott 

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 7:56 PM
  • And the possibility exists of a possible virus. One that is asking for your upload password. You need to fix that ASAP.
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Is it all users or just you when your using Chrome? Maybe the other browsers have cookies set that do the authentication and in Chrome you have cookies disabled or you have not saved the password in it's cache.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 9:17 PM
  • Hello thanks for replying

It is all users who are using google chrome

Saturday, June 18, 2011 9:54 PM
  • You still need to post a link to the site as requested above, please......

This is so we can we can see the behaviour for ourselves and suggest solutions.

Andrew M

http://www.murraywebs.com

"Nothing spoils numbers faster than arithmetic!"
    -- Peppermint Patty (Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz)
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 11:10 PM
  • Otherwise, all that can be offered, as may be readily observed from some of the preceding responses, are wild-ass guesses based on insufficient information. Some are willing to play that game. Most are not.

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 1:57 AM
  • Otherwise, all that can be offered, as may be readily observed from some of the preceding responses, are wild-ass guesses based on insufficient information. Some are willing to play that game. Most are not.

So far we have two offering guesses and three abstaining from guessing. At what ratio does a majority become most? And, how many opinions are required to have a statistically valid sample to determine "most"? Just asking.

Sunday, June 19, 2011 3:11 AM
  • Well, you see, I thought my first reply counted as a guess, too. I mean, even if he did mismount the trans-axle, I really had no way of knowing for sure if he had thrown Chrome into frammisnatch mode or not...

Sunday, June 19, 2011 5:13 AM
  • Hello folks

sorry for the late reply I was just looking into the possibility of the dismount of the trans-axle. Here is the link to the website www.mtom.biz

Simon

Sunday, June 19, 2011 7:29 AM
  • sorry for the late reply I was just looking into the possibility of the dismount of the trans-axle. Here is the link to the website www.mtom.biz

------
    Yup, I see what you mean. Also, for what it's worth, when I click "Cancel" I can see the site perfectly well. However, when I click on a link, I get the request for Name and Password again, although clicking cancel lets me see that page. It's a workaround; however, I wouldn't depend on my potential clients clicking on the 'cancel' button, nor would I depend on them clicking it a second time when it shows up.

The above is an observation only, since I'm still a rank beginner who's learning enough to be dangerous. A very good reason why I'm going to take a look at your code and see what I can see, not that it will help you in the least. It's just a part of my learning process and I do stumble upon good stuff once-in-awhile.

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 4:19 PM

Simon, I'm probably totally off base here, but the only thing I can see in your CSS code that makes me wonder are the following lines:

* Creates the general link style for the site. This is not the main navigation.  *
    a:link {
    color: #666666;
    font-weight: bold;
    list-style-image: url('ftp://ftp.mtom.biz/mtom.biz/htdocs/bullet.png');
    }

What this looks like to me is what a link should look like before it's visited, and I'm wondering why "ftp"? Probably has nothing to do with things, but . . . could you explain it to me?

Nancy Ward
    • Proposed as answer by KathyW2 Sunday, June 19, 2011 4:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ukdragon Sunday, June 19, 2011 9:48 PM
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Nancy, it looks like you have found the source of the problem.  There should never be an FTP link for an image reference in a CSS file.  (That's not what the link should look like "before it's visited" - it's simply wrong.  There should be no reference to FTP there.)

Perhaps other browsers are ignoring the "ftp", but Chrome thinks it's being asked to download it via FTP.

If you cancel the Chrome ftp login request message on a page that uses those bullets, e.g, http://mtom.biz/page5.html you'll see they are not there, while in IE8, for example, they are.

Sunday, June 19, 2011 4:47 PM
  • Nice catch, Nancy. I had started looking through the source code when I saw your second post. It was fairly certain to be something along those lines, given the error message:

Authentication Required
    The server ftp.mtom.biz:21 requires a username and password.

That indicates an FTP request somewhere in the mix. If I didn't find it in the source I had considered using Fiddler to check the request stream, but you saved me the trouble.  ;-)

Yet another illustration of why it is important to post a link to the actual page(s)...

cheers,
    scott

Sunday, June 19, 2011 5:07 PM
  • >Nancy, it looks like you have found the source of the problem.  ----
    Unbelievable! I'm actually learning something! :)

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 7:13 PM
  • >Nice catch, Nancy.
    Wow! My first really good answer! Starting from the bottom up does work! :)

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 7:14 PM
  • Heh, heh... yep, it really does. Now if we could just convince the newbie yahoos who want to jump right in and build the next Amazon.com without knowing the difference between inline and block elements...

;-)

cheers,
    scott

Sunday, June 19, 2011 7:58 PM
  • Thank you Nancy have correct the code & all is working fine.

Sunday, June 19, 2011 9:51 PM
  • >Thank you Nancy have correct the code & all is working fine.
    ---
    Yay! I'm glad to very cautiously help. :)

Nancy Ward
    Monday, June 20, 2011 1:27 AM
  • Guess my virus guess was totally wrong. Apologies here.
    Monday, June 20, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Guess my virus guess was totally wrong. Apologies here.

There you go admitting your error and apologizing. You'll never be a standard issue politician.
    Monday, June 20, 2011 5:17 PM