Eventing in CSF RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to get more details about how to use eventing when writing a WES for CSF. First of all I would like whether there is any difference between the Provisioning Events, Health Events and Usage Events? The provided samples with the WES toolkit don't implement any of them (except usage) so I would like to know if they are all implemented in the same way.

To the more importaint question: how do I configure the sample from the WES toolkit for Usage eventing to work? What is the role of Usage Event Poller included with the WES toolkit? Generally what I would like to know is how to send events? Is there any more documentation written on this matter?

And one more dummy question. What is the difference between sending a message in CSF and firing an event? When should which be used?

Thanks,
      David
    Friday, November 17, 2006 2:03 PM

Answers

• WES tool kit implements WS-Eventing specs.

This means any consumer can subscribe to usage events that are published by WES service.  The events are actually published by usageEventMonitor on behalf of WES to all subscribers. For usageEventMonitor to publish events, events must be persisted in events table.  This infrasfrastructure can be used not only for usage events but also for publishing provisioning and health related events.

When an event is fired, it is finally sending a message on the wire. In CSF, Event is used in WS-Eventing context.

For  more details, pelase refer to Configuring a Well-enabled Service section in Connected Services Framework 3.0 Developers Guide.

Thanks,

Natraj 

Friday, November 17, 2006 9:23 PM
  • Sounds like Usag Event Monitor could no find subscribers that match the event persisted.

Problem could be mistach in Uris that are specified  in the config files. Please  use dnsnames instead of  using localhost in the uris whereever you specify them.

VasAdapter  in Microsoft.ConnectedServices.Sdk.Eventing.config and SubscriptionManagerUri  in Microsoft.ConnectedServices.WellEnabledServices.IptvUsageEventMonitor.config are set to the Uri of the wes service.

Microsoft.ConnectedServices.Sdk.Eventing field in Microsoft.ConnectedServices.WellEnabledServices.IptvUsageEventMonitor.config and wbe.config are set to have correct absoulte path of Microsoft.ConnectedServices.Sdk.Eventing.config file.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 12:17 AM
  • Also please make sure that Microsoft.ConnectedServices.ReliableDelivery.Wrapper.dll is placed in the web service bin folder and usage monitor bin folder

Thanks

Natraj

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 4:58 PM

All replies

• WES tool kit implements WS-Eventing specs.

This means any consumer can subscribe to usage events that are published by WES service.  The events are actually published by usageEventMonitor on behalf of WES to all subscribers. For usageEventMonitor to publish events, events must be persisted in events table.  This infrasfrastructure can be used not only for usage events but also for publishing provisioning and health related events.

When an event is fired, it is finally sending a message on the wire. In CSF, Event is used in WS-Eventing context.

For  more details, pelase refer to Configuring a Well-enabled Service section in Connected Services Framework 3.0 Developers Guide.

Thanks,

Natraj 

Friday, November 17, 2006 9:23 PM
  • Tnx Natraj !

Sorry for maybe asking stupid questions but i am quite new on CSF (my fifth day), although a lot of things are simple to understand and to work with i am stuck with the eventing part :)

I managed to setup the usageEventMonitor. But when i insert an event into the Events database (using the integrated stored procedure of uEM), the event is immediatly moved to ArchivedEvents table and it's status is expired. I guess I'm doing something wrong or i missed something out. On the subsciber side i am waiting to be notified but nothings happens i guess the expired status has something do with it.

I guess i am right that on the client side to receive the event i just need an method with an action, or do i need something else ?

I hope somebody would be able to give me some advice asap ;)

Thanks, D

Saturday, November 18, 2006 2:31 PM
  • I forgot to post the trace.log error entry:

Logging Errors & Warnings Error: 6352 : Timestamp: 10/18/2006 1:46:35 PM
    Message: There is no explicit mapping for the categories 'General'. The log entry was:
    Timestamp: 10/18/2006 1:46:35 PM
    Exiting method.
    Category: General
    Priority: 2
    EventId: 1
    Severity: Verbose
    Title:DeliverySystem::RaiseEvent()
    Machine: CSF-TEST
    App Domain: Microsoft.ConnectedServices.WellEnabledServices.UsageEventMonitor.exe
    ProcessId: 2848
    Process Name: C:\Program Files\Microsoft CSF\V3.0\WES Toolkit\UsageEventMonitor\bin\Microsoft.ConnectedServices.WellEnabledServices.UsageEventMonitor.exe
    Thread Name:
    Win32 ThreadId:1192
    Extended Properties: AuthenticationType -
    IdentityName -
    IsAuthenticated - False
    CurrentUser - INOVACSF\CSF-TESTCSF-TEST$
    ProcessAccountName - BUILTIN\Administrators

essage: EventingDataAccess::LoadSubscription():
    Exiting method.
    Category: General
    Priority: 2
    EventId: 1
    Severity: Verbose
    Title:EventingDataAccess::LoadSubscription()
    Machine: CSF-TEST

App Domain: Microsoft.ConnectedServices.WellEnabledServices.UsageEventMonitor.exe
    ProcessId: 2848
    Process Name: C:\Program Files\Microsoft CSF\V3.0\WES Toolkit\UsageEventMonitor\bin\Microsoft.ConnectedServices.WellEnabledServices.UsageEventMonitor.exe
    Thread Name:
    Win32 ThreadId:1192
    Extended Properties: AuthenticationType -

Saturday, November 18, 2006 2:50 PM
  • I'm still having the same problem, any ideas ? Or am I the first one to use the UsageMonitor WES ?:)

I would realy like to set it up, cause it would fit perfeclty inside of my high avaliability, clustered enviroment.

Currenlty for sending the notifications i am using the PushDeliverMode API from the eventing namespace, it works but i would really like to go one step higher :)

Tnx in advance !

D

Monday, November 20, 2006 7:00 PM
  • Sounds like Usag Event Monitor could no find subscribers that match the event persisted.

Problem could be mistach in Uris that are specified  in the config files. Please  use dnsnames instead of  using localhost in the uris whereever you specify them.

VasAdapter  in Microsoft.ConnectedServices.Sdk.Eventing.config and SubscriptionManagerUri  in Microsoft.ConnectedServices.WellEnabledServices.IptvUsageEventMonitor.config are set to the Uri of the wes service.

Microsoft.ConnectedServices.Sdk.Eventing field in Microsoft.ConnectedServices.WellEnabledServices.IptvUsageEventMonitor.config and wbe.config are set to have correct absoulte path of Microsoft.ConnectedServices.Sdk.Eventing.config file.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 12:17 AM
  • Does this mean usage monitor is publishing events to push delivery subscribers but not for reliable delivery subscribers?
    Tuesday, November 21, 2006 7:45 AM
  • Also please make sure that Microsoft.ConnectedServices.ReliableDelivery.Wrapper.dll is placed in the web service bin folder and usage monitor bin folder

Thanks

Natraj

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 4:58 PM