Everytime I Install Windows Updates, SMS Fails To Run??? (SQL 2008) RRS feed

• Question

• Previously I installed Windows updates and I couldn't run management studio, nor the configuration manager. I tried everything, repair, unintstall/reinstall. Nothing worked. So I uninstalled the last batch of Windows updates and sure enough it worked. I just tried updating again thinkin' it was some kind of freak happening and again it's the same thing.

The error I receive while trying to run SMS is "The application cannot run." 

The error I receive when I try to run the configuration manager is "Unable to create new document."

I haven't tried any other tools but this is extremely frustrating. I also noticed that when these updates are installed that MS Visio crashes anytime I try to open or create a new diagram. It's happening again now just like it did last time. I've attached an image of the updates I just installed, I can't pinpoint it of course, just hoping someone may have the same problem and can tell me what it is and why this is happening.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Phenomin,

This issue is odd. I could not repopulate it in my environment.

Have you patch SP1 to SQL Server 2008? There is some know compatibility issue between Windows 7 and SQL Server 2008. Generally, if we want to run SQL Server 2008 on Windows 7, we recommend that you patch it with SP1 after the installation. If you have not patched SP1, you could download it from the following link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=66ab3dbb-bf3e-4f46-9559-ccc6a4f9dc19&displaylang=en

If you have patched SP1 to SQL Server 2008 and you still could not run SQL Server Management Studio and other components of SQL Server 2008, could you please provide us the error message logged in the Application log?

Meanwhile, you could submit a feedback in this link:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SqlServer

If anything is unclear, please let me know.

• Proposed as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:55 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:26 PM
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:55 AM