none
How to obtain a PnP Vendor ID??

Question

• I need to obtain a PnP Vendor ID from Microsoft - there is a webpage for this at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn610887(v=vs.85).aspx

Which I've followed the instructions and submitted the email request TWICE over the last 6 weeks - with NO RESPONSE...

I also sent TWO emails to the same address asking about status... nothing.

I checked ALL my spam filters - nothing - even added microsoft.com to the white list everywhere to make sure an email doesn't get filtered.

So - I tried the personal method - called into Microsoft support - of course nobody knew what I was talking about and kept asking for my MSDN subscription ID... which is not needed to get a PnP Vendor ID... I bounced around to 3 different support people.. the last one took my name and email address and promised to get back to me... right... never happened. (yeah, I know, I should have gotten his name and email, and phone extension...but I didn't)

We've got a video driver board for an embedded LCD that we're prototyping and I REALLY need to have the vendor ID to put into the EDID EEPROM... this is not for retail usage, only the embedded OEM market...

This is so frustrating - dealing with the giant...

Can someone help me with this? I just need the phone number of someone that know SOMETHING...

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:12 PM

Answers

• This thread was answered here

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 3:31 AM

All replies

• Bueller?

Bueller?

Anybody?

FDIMark

Monday, September 29, 2014 12:06 PM
  • Microsoft does not have a PnP id per se. Mice and keyboard have them so that drivers can be found.

Look at any microsoft hardware device and you will find the vendor id and the device id

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/668e3cf9-4e00-4b40-a6f8-c7d2fc1afd39/how-can-i-retrieve-monitor-information?forum=windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd183569(v=vs.85).aspx

MSFT Signature

Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!

Monday, September 29, 2014 12:36 PM
  • Has your company reached out to Microsoft?  In the past hardware vendors were assigned evangelists, who would help you with this.   Otherwise I would try to go further with the Microsoft support route, i.e. let them have your MSDN ID.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Monday, September 29, 2014 12:41 PM
  • This is incorrect, Microsoft does issue PnP Vendor ID's.  I have consulted for multiple companies who got them, it has unfortunately just been a long time.   The OP's orignal question has the link to the information, please if you are going to post in an area you know nothing about at least read what the OP referred to.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Monday, September 29, 2014 12:44 PM
  • This is incorrect, Microsoft does issue PnP Vendor ID's.  I have consulted for multiple companies who got them, it has unfortunately just been a long time.   The OP's orignal question has the link to the information, please if you are going to post in an area you know nothing about at least read what the OP referred to.

actually everyone including MSFT gets them from the PCI Sig

Somewhere I have some code that I was working in the scan hardware for a project, and I got a list from the Sig to check against

likely what you are thinking of is that MSFT is providing a device with them as the vendor from their account.

MSFT Signature

Monday, September 29, 2014 12:53 PM
  • Yes we have 'reached out' to MS - see original post about the people we talked to... and the frustration that none of them knew what I was talking about - even when I pointed them to the website listed...

I can't see how having my MSDN ID won't help - I don't have a 'paid' subscription - never needed it and shouldn't need it for this...

FDIMark

Monday, September 29, 2014 12:56 PM
  • Wow, Vegan! There's a lot of slashed cabbage inside your CPU...

LOL

MSFT Signature

Monday, September 29, 2014 12:57 PM
  • Yes we have 'reached out' to MS - see original post about the people we talked to... and the frustration that none of them knew what I was talking about - even when I pointed them to the website listed...

I can't see how having my MSDN ID won't help - I don't have a 'paid' subscription - never needed it and shouldn't need it for this...

FDIMark

https://www.pcisig.com/home

MSFT Signature

Monday, September 29, 2014 12:58 PM
  • No, that is incorrect.  From your various answers on this forum, I have to question if you have ever worked with Microsoft and hardware.  Microsoft, PCI-Sig, and the USB folks all issue ID's each for a seperate domain.  In this case the OP needs one from Microsoft, unfortunately it looks like an email address link is probably going to a dead account.

Monday, September 29, 2014 1:04 PM
  • Intel runs the PCI Sig, and USB etc

they also are the ones who developed Plug and Pray

for monitors it EDID and that would be dealt with at the video card, and they are PCI Express

MSFT Signature

Monday, September 29, 2014 1:17 PM
  • Remember - we're trying to get a EDID Vendor ID for a monitor controller board - not a video card

Did you look at:

This clearly says Microsoft supplies this...

I have reviewed the PCI Sig and agree that they 'also' list 'Vendor ID' - but it appears this is for PCI-specific PnP - which would be video cards, network etc - 

We are building an LCD monitor - and need EDID Vendor ID for the EEPROM inside the monitor.

Also - If you search the PCI Sig for 'EDID' - you get no results..

FDIMark

Monday, September 29, 2014 1:23 PM
  • No, Intel lead the USB effort, Intel was a member of the PCI effort along with others.  The form of PnP ID the OP is asking for was created so that legacy devices would fit the PnP model, Intel's attitude at the time was force people to buy new hardware.   Of course all this stuff happened close to 20 years ago.

Monday, September 29, 2014 1:26 PM
  • Remember - we're trying to get a EDID Vendor ID for a monitor controller board - not a video card

Did you look at:

This clearly says Microsoft supplies this...

I have reviewed the PCI Sig and agree that they 'also' list 'Vendor ID' - but it appears this is for PCI-specific PnP - which would be video cards, network etc - 

We are building an LCD monitor - and need EDID Vendor ID for the EEPROM inside the monitor.

Also - If you search the PCI Sig for 'EDID' - you get no results..

FDIMark

start here

MSFT Signature

Monday, September 29, 2014 1:28 PM
  • No, Intel lead the USB effort, Intel was a member of the PCI effort along with others.  The form of PnP ID the OP is asking for was created so that legacy devices would fit the PnP model, Intel's attitude at the time was force people to buy new hardware.   Of course all this stuff happened close to 20 years ago.

actually that sort of crap still exists widely today, with whitelists and other abuses

so much for competition

MSFT Signature

Monday, September 29, 2014 1:29 PM
  • Taken from the Microsoft webpage referenced:

(note the bolded text)

Vendor ID: Each manufacturer of Plug and Play devices must be assigned an industry-unique Vendor ID. Your company may already have a Vendor ID from previous work, such as EISA boards or other Plug and Play devices (PNPISA cards, PNP serial devices, PNP monitors, and so on). If you do not have a vendor ID, or do not know if you have one, Microsoft can assign one for you as described on this page, or can verify an existing ID.

The format of Vendor IDs varies depending on the form of ID you choose:

• PNP ID: PNP Vendor IDs consist of 3 characters, each character being an uppercase letter (A-Z).
    • ACPI ID: ACPI Vendor IDs consist of 4 characters, each character being either an uppercase letter (A-Z) or a numeral (0-9).

FDIMark

Monday, September 29, 2014 1:30 PM

• start here

And taken from that Wiki page:

Manufacturer ID. These IDs are assigned by Microsoft, they are PNP IDs "00001=A”; “00010=B”; ... “11010=Z”. Bit 7 (at address 08h) is 0, the first character (letter) is located at bits 6 → 2 (at address 08h), the second character (letter) is located at bits 1 & 0 (at address 08h) and bits 7 → 5 (at address 09h), and the third character (letter) is located at bits 4 → 0 (at address 09h).

FDIMark

Monday, September 29, 2014 1:39 PM
  • for those who are not into lower level stuff, there is a vendor and subvendor field for devices

the problem with the panel EDID is that documentation is almost nonesistant

the wikipedia page i presented above, for example is pretty much stock for generic panels like those seen with XP

I have not seen anything more recent at all.

MSFT Signature

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 12:03 AM
  • This thread was answered here

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 3:31 AM
  • Vegan Fanatic wrote:
    >
    >> I can't see how having my MSDN ID won't help - I don't have a 'paid'
    >> subscription - never needed it and shouldn't need it for this...
    >>

Do you actually understand the difference between a PCI vendor ID, and an
    EDID PnP ID?  They are two entirely different namespaces, maintained by two
    entirely different maintainers.

My suggestion is that you just walk quietly away from this thread, because
    so far you have not offered anything of use.
    --
    Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Tim Roberts, VC++ MVP Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
    Sunday, October 5, 2014 9:48 PM
  • look the video card vga was the first to have EDID and it was part of the plug and play initiative by wintel to make it easier to install add-in cards

vesa also has some specifications and all of these manuals are hard to find the best of times

that is why the wikipedia article is so limited

since vga, we then got dvi which is vesa mostly, followed by hdmi which is another group, then vesa is back with displayport

i think the best route to figuring all this out is to examine the linux code for a video card driver and see how they do it, i know amd has open source dri vers

expect to take a long time, video card drivers are complicated

MSFT Signature

Vegan Advocate How can you be an environmentalist and still eat meat?

Sunday, October 5, 2014 9:57 PM