When will the 64bit version of Silverlight come out? RRS feed

• Question

• I have read that 64 bit applications are safer by nature. (http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/chrome-antics-did-google-reverse-engineer.ars/2) Since one of the most important measure of a web browser is its security, it would be a good thing to have 64 bit web browsers.

I am running a 64 bit version of Windows, and it has 64 bit Internet Explorer, but I cannot utilize it since Flash and Silverlight is not available on it. There has been a quite a number of requests for 64 bit Flash, and I thought Flash 10 would come in both 32 and 64 version, but I am not sure now. How about Silverlight? If Silverlight supports 64 bit IE, it could be an important reason to choose it over Flash.

Since someday (in the near future) all 32 bit applications will be deprecated, as 16 bit applications did, Microsoft will have to make 64 bit version of Silverlight anyway, unless they abandon it. The question is when.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 1:05 PM

Answers

•  Hey You ask to microsoft customer care for getting your requirements

Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:55 AM

All replies

•  Hey You ask to microsoft customer care for getting your requirements

Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:55 AM
  •  Hi now came silverlight2RC0 you can go and visit here

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

http://silverlight.net:80/GetStarted/sl2rc0.aspx

Monday, September 29, 2008 7:55 AM
  • Hei,

I think this will not be possible since the Server is going to host the application . The client is supposed to have a silverlight runtime thats all. Its doesn't matteris the client is 32 bit or 64 bit

Thanks 

Monday, September 29, 2008 2:38 PM
  • Since it is the client that has the runtime, I don't see why it should make any difference to the server whether the client is 32-bit or 64-bit (seems the CLR isn't really designed for word sizes that aren't a power of two, although even that should be possible).  The server sends MSIL to the client, which a JIT compiler in the client CLR, targeting the 64-bit machine, should be able to handle.  Same MSIL regardless of the hardware, browser, or OS at the client.  Same MSIL regardless of the hardware or OS at the server.

Monday, September 29, 2008 5:21 PM