Clarification of cost associated with web widget RRS feed

• Question

• Our website is small and we will be using the service - as opposed to google translate - mainly to customize some machine translated pages into more property worded local form. 

I am wondering about the cost.  I see the page that breaks down of cost of the service to characters/month (https://datamarket.azure.com/dataset/bing/microsofttranslator#).  Does this mean every time someone visits our site and uses the widget to translate a page that counts towards characters per month?  Or is it once you get your page translated and customized which counts towards characters/month, it can be called up without counting towards characters/month?

Thanks.

Friday, January 29, 2016 5:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Ag,

it depends on your implementation. Using the Translator API from your application is charged by volume. 2 million characters per month are free, above that you pay at a rate of about $10 USD per million characters, discounted for higher volumes. You can store the translations, and render the stored translation to the visitor without any call to the Translator service. You can refresh the translations as you see fit, with a call to the Translator API. It is beneficial to integrate the refresh and change management in your web publishing system and routine.

If you are using the Bing Translator widget (bing.com/widget/translator) the use is free and it is extremely easy to deploy, at the cost of reduced flexibility in the look and feel compared to using the API directly, and the fact that the translation of your site appears only in the user's browser, and as a result the translation is not visible to search engines.

You can customize your translations via the Translator Hub (https://hub.microsofttranslator.com) either way, API or widget.

Let us know if this helps,
    Chris Wendt
    Microsoft Translator

Friday, January 29, 2016 7:25 PM
  • Chris - Thanks for your reply. 

I am not so technically inclined so I'd like to clear up a few things with your answer.

We do not have our own "application".  Rather we would put the Bing Translator widget on our website and make a few customization to the automatic translations when we see fit.  In this implementation we would not need to pay anything?

Monday, February 1, 2016 7:48 PM
  • Hi Ag,

yes, that's correct, the widget is free.

Chris Wendt
    Microsoft Translator

Monday, February 1, 2016 7:52 PM